Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Chevron still BK friendly?

tag
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Re: Is Chevron still BK friendly?

Thanks Hauling, I was wondering because I read in another post about another store card that counts as two cards if it is a Mastercard or Visa product as well. In other words it shows up on the credit report as two different trade lines, a major cc and a store card. Also I have a Target card which I was hoping to replace with the Dilliards card, I've had it two years and it's still at $200 (We all know how that goes) so I'm planning on closing it. The Dilliards card is just a store card, but I also have a Walmart card as well, so I have the store cards covered. I didn't especially want another bank card because I have 4 and I was planning on apping with Alliant sometime next year for their Visa card.
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm.. I decided to apply online for the Chevron Visa, but think I was approved for the non-visa card instead. All it said was, "You have been approved for a Chevron and Texaco Personal Credit Card. You will receive your new card in 7 - 10 days." Does "Personal Credit Card" mean the regular card? It also didn't give me the credit line I was approved for. I am shock to learn that they did approved me because I do have a bk7 that was discharged in 01/2007. I've been wanting to apply for a Chevron card for some time now, but never did because of the questions asked before applying. I'm assuming my credit scores are in the low-mid 600's because two months ago, it was 630. Since then, my credit card utilization has gone up quite a bit, so it may be lower than 630 as of today.

So, YES.. Chevron is BK friendly, despite the questions asked =) 

Message 12 of 28
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm.. I decided to apply online for the Chevron Visa, but think I was approved for the non-visa card instead. All it said was, "You have been approved for a Chevron and Texaco Personal Credit Card. You will receive your new card in 7 - 10 days." Does "Personal Credit Card" mean the regular card? It also didn't give me the credit line I was approved for. I am shock to learn that they did approved me because I do have a bk7 that was discharged in 01/2007. I've been wanting to apply for a Chevron card for some time now, but never did because of the questions asked before applying. I'm assuming my credit scores are in the low-mid 600's because two months ago, it was 630. Since then, my credit card utilization has gone up quite a bit, so it may be lower than 630 as of today.

So, YES.. Chevron is BK friendly, despite the questions asked =) 

You answered the questions truthfully I assume?
Message 13 of 28
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@favor4me2 wrote:
Thanks Hauling, I was wondering because I read in another post about another store card that counts as two cards if it is a Mastercard or Visa product as well. In other words it shows up on the credit report as two different trade lines, a major cc and a store card. Also I have a Target card which I was hoping to replace with the Dilliards card, I've had it two years and it's still at $200 (We all know how that goes) so I'm planning on closing it. The Dilliards card is just a store card, but I also have a Walmart card as well, so I have the store cards covered. I didn't especially want another bank card because I have 4 and I was planning on apping with Alliant sometime next year for their Visa card.

That would be Macy's or Bloomingdale (DSNB) unless there is another one I don't know about.

Message 14 of 28
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Its a sad day when a person who has charge offs, although paid ones, cant even get a Chevron card with an EQ of 625 but a personwho filed for Bk can

Maybe i should have filed for bankruptcy as well, instead of paying those companies my money because it doesmt seem to make a difference

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spark.... I agree, My husband and I got into hot water with a horrible roomate and were sued by the landlord over it. I paid a 5k judgment plus 2k in other attached expenses out of my pocket rather than file for bankruptcy! That has got me NO WHERE. Please rest assured you are not alone. I have less than a 20% Debt to income ratio with my mortgage being only 18% of my inceme also, with no lates in 63 months. (includes car pmts and mortgage on time for 32 mo) Believe this! I was able to buy my first house in Jan 2008 and refinance my house in Jan 2009 with a reduced rate of 5.25% but......Still could not get a credit card if the pope wrote a letter. Simply stated because I did the right thing and paid my judgment ON TIME!. What a load of crap!

Update so far though on this is that I have managed to have the judgement removed from two of the three reports.

I have no idea what my score is though. I think its in the mid 6's. Transunion being the quesitonable one. They are very difficult to work with!

So good luck Spark!

Message 16 of 28
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Spark.... I agree, My husband and I got into hot water with a horrible roomate and were sued by the landlord over it. I paid a 5k judgment plus 2k in other attached expenses out of my pocket rather than file for bankruptcy! That has got me NO WHERE. Please rest assured you are not alone. I have less than a 20% Debt to income ratio with my mortgage being only 18% of my inceme also, with no lates in 63 months. (includes car pmts and mortgage on time for 32 mo) Believe this! I was able to buy my first house in Jan 2008 and refinance my house in Jan 2009 with a reduced rate of 5.25% but......Still could not get a credit card if the pope wrote a letter. Simply stated because I did the right thing and paid my judgment ON TIME!. What a load of crap!

Update so far though on this is that I have managed to have the judgement removed from two of the three reports.

I have no idea what my score is though. I think its in the mid 6's. Transunion being the quesitonable one. They are very difficult to work with!

So good luck Spark!

Welcome to the forums!

Why was the judgment removed? Paid judgements remain on your CBR until they age off (7 yrs, NY 5 yrs) unless they have been vacated.

As for TU they are frequently easier to get information removed from than the others. They also tend to lose information a lot.

Message 17 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Gentle reminder that although it's understandable, comparing one's own situation with someone else's doesn't really enlighten, and instead it tends to embitter. I used to do the same about my own credit situation, and I finally let it go.

There are many reasons that people file BK, including personal tragedies (long medical stays with inadequate or no insurance, for instance.)

And BK wipes out a huge chunk of credit history. It's not a get-out-of-jail-free card by any means.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are many reasons that people file BK, including personal tragedies (long medical stays with inadequate or no insurance, for instance.)

And BK wipes out a huge chunk of credit history. It's not a get-out-of-jail-free card by any means.

+1.

Also a note that there are different types of BK.

BK 13, for example, does not forgive debts - it simply restructures the payment plan.  Depending on the particulars for the filer, 100% of the debts may be paid in full.

Message 19 of 28
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thank you Hauling for clarifying that. I read this post at work today and frankly I was livid! I couldn't wait to get home today to respond, but as I can see you already did. There are a number of reasons people file BK and by no means do I try to find a way to get out of paying my bills. Filing for BK has made my life hell for years and since then I have worked very hard to recover my dignity. I had two very sick kids that racked up medical bills to over $300,000.00. And that was with having health insurance with two different companies. I lost everything even my house. Since then I have never been late on a bill in over 4 years my credit scores are over 700, and that is why I can obtain credit when someone else cannot. I appreciate the opportunity to rebuild my life and I don't take it for granted. To judge someone based on your own experience is very selfish and judgmental. I was only trying to share as we all do, my personal, positive experience, so that others may benefit. I personally spoke with the manager at GEMB and asked him about the BK question and he couldn't believe it was on there since the card is backed by them. He informed me to go ahead and apply anyway. I always do my research before applying for any product. So since it worked for me, I knew that my Fico family would like to hear about it. I'm sure you guys didn't mean any ill intent, but I would suggest that you THINK before you speak. And remember that a BK wipes out all debt so lenders are eager to get us caught back up in the debt trap, they also know that we can't file again for many years. 

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.