cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Closing Cap1 QS1 a good idea in this case?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Closing Cap1 QS1 a good idea in this case?

"not a hill worth dying on" ... my late grandfather used to use that expression ... you really made my day
Message 11 of 16
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

is it worth keeping if he;s trying to up the limit?  no.  I think a lot of us have had CapOne at one time or another and for some, it just lost usefullness.  They were my first "real" credit card too.  They had me internally capped at 3500 and nothing that I did, use the card pay it off, blah blah blah, did me any good.  The reasons for denial were comical at first then just **bleep** stupid in the end. Those were INQ's I could have put to something more useful. Apped for a card with with a 25k starting limit and  removed CapOne  from my wallet.  No regrets. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@zoe15 wrote:

My DH's oldest credit card is his Cap1 QS1. It's 6 years old with a $2000 CL. He has two other credit cards: a 3.5 year old USAA CC w/ a $7000 CL & a brand new PenFed CC w/ a $9500 CL.

Last week, he applied for a CLI on his Cap1 QS1, but was turned down due to "not enough use of current credit limit" (he doesn't spend much on this card to keep his utilization low). Today, he chatted with Cap1 and asked if he could PC his QS1, but they said he wasn't eligible to at this time. They also didn't offer to waive the annual fee ($19 per year), which will go through next month, but instead said to contact them again after the fee goes through to see if there are new "options" for his account.

At this point, the only reason DH is keeping this card is because it's his oldest credit card. Is it worth the annual fee and low CL to keep his oldest card?

If I were you, I would not close.  I had Amex card in 80s, cloased decades ago during my personal problems - not many here remembers Black Monday I guess..  I found it in my old wallet recently and all my old memories passed including how I used it when I dated my wife.  Those memories will be worth more than 19 bucks a year.

Fast forward, I started back getting credit cards again about a year ago.  Got QS1 as my first card, called them twice during the first 6 mths, no offers.

When I made third time call, they offered me QS or Venture 1.  I could not deciper their logic, because QS pc was offered during the period when I did not utilize much as compared to other months.   At the time of pc, there was no offer through the web link, but it was offered when I called.   Exactly a year later, I have 22000 SL with Cap1..  Cap1 has been good to me.

I don't think the 19 bucks is worth it all.  The OP will still get 10 more years of use out of it on her husbands report..  And 2k of Credit line is not something to be upset about.  In 10 years time when the card falls off his report his current cards will be all over 10 years old.  

Message 13 of 16
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I sound like a broken record, but Cap1 is no longer going to be in my wallet.

Long story short: Two cards with them for 3yrs. 1 Secured, one QS1. 3yrs later: 1 secured with same $500 limit and same QS1 with fee they refuse to upgrade me.

So I applied the other day for a regular QS.

Denied and their denial letter said my EQ was 622.

My EQ 4 dats ago was 693. Today it's 706.

I can't stand crap like that.

Even reached out twice on social media and all they could say was, 'we are so sorry we have no offers for you at this time' and always in a condescending voice.

A lot of people love them, but I can't stand them. 🤢
Message 14 of 16
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Oh and good luck getting the fee waived after the first year.

I called and explained my situation: 'we are sorry we have no offeres for you at this time' 😡😡😡
Message 15 of 16
noobody
Established Contributor

Patience Patience
I have two Cap1 cards since 2001, with $48 annual fee each (read: bad Credit), keep the temptation to close them for years. Then my credit improved, they waive half AF, waive whole AF, pc to no AF card, add rewards, raise CL 15X over 3 years.
Now 2 cap1 cards and two backdated amex give me 78 years history, make my AAoA bullet proof.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.