cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover Cash still working at the register for you guys?

tag
Roger1071549
New Contributor

Re: Is Discover Cash still working at the register for you guys?

I went to Acme, and was offered cash back too. Seems to be a fluke. 

Message 11 of 23
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Mr. Mojo Risin, I'm glad I could help. Discover's cash back is a great benefit that too many people are unaware of. They allow up to $100 or $120 cash back a day and it's treated as a regular credit purchase instead of a cash advance. I don't use it often but I use it. It's awesome to be able to get $20 from your credit card's credit line and have it count as a credit purchase instead of a cash advance with no extra fees or higher APR.

Have you been able to use your card and it ask if you wanted cash back?

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 12 of 23
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Yes, I went to Acme today, used my physical card (I had been only using my iPhone wallet for months) to check out and I was offered cash back at the register. I proceeded with a $20 cash back request to make sure it would work and it did. I was given the $20 cash back ontop of the $20 in groceries which came to $40 total on my card. Try it out next time you go to an accepted retailer. This link lists the accepted retailers: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 13 of 23
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Yes, I went to Acme today, used my physical card (I had been only using my iPhone wallet for months) to check out and I was offered cash back at the register. I proceeded with a $20 cash back request to make sure it would work and it did. I was given the $20 cash back ontop of the $20 in groceries which came to $40 total on my card. Try it out next time you go to an accepted retailer. This link lists the accepted retailers: https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

Sounds good! I use it at Kroger sometimes and it always ask if I want cash back. I'm gonna check it out next time I use it there.

I appreciate the tip on this, I've never seen this mentioned on myFICO.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 14 of 23
JamP
Valued Contributor

No Walmart, No Meijer, but was able to get $50 cash back at Aldi.

This was a great feature at Walmart/Meijer.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 15 of 23
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Holy crap what a great benefit that I never knew of! Thanks OP! I don't use my Discover card for grocery, but I'll give it a try to see if it works at my local Mariano's (Kroger). 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 16 of 23
TJHOFF
Established Member

Worked at Trader Joes conatcless the other day, little machine asked me and I did.

Message 17 of 23
JamP
Valued Contributor

@TJHOFF wrote:

Worked at Trader Joes conatcless the other day, little machine asked me and I did.

What was the max amount?

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 18 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys. I went to ShopRite grocery store this morning and used my physical card and I was offered cash back. I didn't utilize it today but it does seem to be working. I hope Discover keeps it because it's a helpful & unique benefit.  

It's a nice feature called "cash over".  Basically, you can get cash over your purchase amount at certain grocery stores when using Discover and it is treated like a purchase and not a cash advance (except you do not get rewards on the cash over amount).   Walmart used to offer with with Discover and with their own credit card, but I believe they suspended cash-over on all cards during the pandemic.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 23
TJHOFF
Established Member

@JamP wrote:

@TJHOFF wrote:

What was the max amount?

Might be $50 but not 100% sure.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.