Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover Stingy with CLI's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Discover Stingy with CLI's?

Discover also calls themselves a "very conservative" lender, and stated that they consider a cardholder to be "new" until the card is two years old. Just a bit extreme. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dixie,

Hard to say about keeping your balance at ZERO with the Creditors... I'm going through a nightmare with BOA and C1 with CLI's. BOTH cards end with a ZERO balance each month, make about 6-12 swipes each month with the BOA card, limit is $2500, never really go over $1,000 but I PIF. credit scores are 772, 761 and 753.  100% payment history on all cards, total utilization under 30%, usually between 15-20%, and I was told that "due to recent economic trends, and the low monthly balance and not enough activity, it has been determined that the current credit limit is what we can offer at this time"....etc.etc..

and was not granted a CLI.... discover however, did give me an $1800 increase after only about 6 months and the only transaction was a balance transfer of $1950 when i first got the card...

So it is hard to determine the methodology behind each bank's decision making...

Message 12 of 26
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the same boat: infrequent cli's.  Started at 6.5, got a bump to 9.0.  A couple of $500's, then another bump to 12k.  Opened a Miles card at 5k, two $500 bumps within a year now.  I use the card for bt's, and during whatever quarterly specials they run, but not consistently.  I've read on here that frequent, consistent use will help your limits, but I have other cards with much higher limits.  It seems like I've gotten the sp cli's, after paying off my bt's (twice).  Hang in there!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 13 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover also calls themselves a "very conservative" lender, and stated that they consider a cardholder to be "new" until the card is two years old. Just a bit extreme. Smiley Happy

The first year and half i had the card I didn't get one CLI, so i understand people getting a bit antsy with them, but once the CLI started coming they came almost every three months or whenever i  asked for them. FWIW I started off with them with 1k CL and now its around 30k. You just have to be patient with them.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

They've always been conservative towards me. They were the hardest cc for me to get. They're also one of my lowest limit credit cards. I've only had the card for a year and have had two credit limit increases of $500. The last time I requested an increase I was denied. I'm in the process of paying down my balance so maybe that will help grow my limit.
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the biggest example of Discover not being conservative with CLIs would be austinguy907 wherever he is, I'm sure he'll stop in with exact numbers but I want to say he started with around a $4k limit or so with Discover and in a year had it to about $30k through SP CLIs.  I also believe within the next 6 months (about a year and a half total) he took his limit up to nearly $50k, again with all SP CLIs.

Message 16 of 26
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 7.18.03 AM.png

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover actually describes themselves as conservative by their own admission. I'll accept the way they describe themselves. While individual examples may vary, they are only anecdotal.
Message 18 of 26
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the biggest example of Discover not being conservative with CLIs would be austinguy907 wherever he is, I'm sure he'll stop in with exact numbers but I want to say he started with around a $4k limit or so with Discover and in a year had it to about $30k through SP CLIs.  I also believe within the next 6 months (about a year and a half total) he took his limit up to nearly $50k, again with all SP CLIs.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/My-first-year-with-Discover-Data-Points/m-p/4705523

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I literally just activated my Discover It ($2,500 line) Tuesday evening, and haven't even used it yet (I expect my first use to be for new medication prescriptions/upgrading eyeglasses prescription over the next week), so I suppose I'm just going to wait and see if I get an automatic CLI in a few months. I'm gardening anyway over the spring/summer so my overall aim is to be conservative with all card use except in case of emergency.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.