cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover entering the sub-prime world?

tag
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Is Discover entering the sub-prime world?

This site would lead one to believe that a Discover card can be had by most anyone.  This was posted  on a thread before so here is the link...(you can change the name of the card in the address and get different Discover cards to view.)  Notice the credit levels like Cap One has.  I looked at all the tabs and the rates and fees increase with the "lower tier" cards.

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: Is Discover entering the sub-prime world?

If anyone tries the "needs improvement" or  "I don't know" catagory and gets approved, please let us know. The  "I don't know" catagory seems to have lower fees and the button says "apply at these rates".

Message Edited by unknown_entity on 03-28-2008 08:08 PM
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This site got kicked around several months ago; thanks for bringing it back!

I'm really skeptical that you could get a true Discover card with these lower scores. But Discover does have a business relationship with HSBC, and if you apply for a Discover and are declined, you will be offered the HSBC ("Direct Rewards") Discover card instead.

If the presence of the "needs improvement" category is a way of sucking in consumers who will then be shunted to the back-up card, then I'm pretty disappointed in Discover!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 27
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Yeah, now that you say that, I can see what they do...they turn you into HSBC bait.  Smiley Very Happy
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 4 of 27
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Ah yes! The old bait-and-fry!
Message 5 of 27
FICOfit
Contributor

I got a true Discover More card with my scores (in siggy below).  Not a huge CL, but a true Discover, nonetheless.  I have discussed this in the "Discover" thread.
05/19/08 TU: 703 EQ:717 EX:710

05/08 TU:660 EQ:710 EX:621
04/08 TU:654 EQ:671 EX:618
3/08 TU:608 EQ:624 EX:623
11/07 TU:564 EQ:555 EX: 560
Goal: 700 club by Dec 2008. Can it be done? Heck yeah!! It's done, let's keep it that way!
Message 6 of 27
fused
Moderator Emeritus

argonne wrote:
I got a true Discover More card with my scores (in siggy below).  Not a huge CL, but a true Discover, nonetheless.  I have discussed this in the "Discover" thread.

Having a true Discover card helps complete any CC portfolio.
Message 7 of 27
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I might get approved with my present scores but I think I'm gonna wait for a bit.
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 8 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I really, really like holding off until I KNOW that they want me. That way, if something goes wrong, I can tell myself, "Well, those idiots!"
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe Discover is actually LOOKING at what's in the cr, you think?

I applied for a Discover in July 2007, with higher scores than I have now. Only back then I had 3 med collections and a charge off. And I was declined then. After cleaning up the cr's by getting the 3 ca's and the c/o deleted, the cr looked a lot better & I applied early this month and was approved as well.

Just an observation. Funny thing is that last July they pulled EXP...this time they pulled TU.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.