Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Discover too aggressive lately?

tag
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Discover too aggressive lately?

I still got denied

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 21 of 55
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Chrysostom wrote:

Damn, I guess they do. Do you realize how rare a $10k Discover limit is? Discover only goes to $15k, even if you have an 850 FICO, 990 VS, and make capital gains faster than you can write $1000 checks to spend them.

I've never even heard of a $10k Discover limit in real life. $5k is considered excellent for Discover in any case - there being dozens of individuals that have $25k here, $23k here, $24.9k here, and $3.6k on Discover. Congratulations!

Wow, really.. I had no idea they were that conservative.. I was a bit surprised.. My Fico is only 713 and my partners is 823.. Maybe that's why he received 10k... The card is gorgeous and everyone always comments on it being unique..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 22 of 55
Chrysostom
New Contributor

The card is awesome looking. I hated having to trade in my 1980s-looking "Original Discover"-design More card (matte black with "Discover" fine print repeated, the rising sun logo, etc.) , though.

Although the fact that it had a "D" instead of a Sears Tower imprint where the Sears Tower actually was on the older cards, the fact that it was printed with 4 colours instead of 3 (making the red-yellow transition much smoother), and the fact that it said "member since 2011" kind of ruined the old-school hipster mystique, though.

Goal: 760 by End of Year
Current Score: 714 TU (2-3/12); 681 EQ (2-3/12); 714 EX (AmEx Pull: 2-7/12); 777 VantageScore (2-3/12)
AmEx BCE ($4k) - AmEx SPG ($7.5k) - Amex PRG (NPSL) - Citi Forward ($7.6k) - Discover IT ($3k) - BankAmericard Cash Rewards ($5k)
Chase Freedom ($1k) - Chase Amazon ($3k) - PayPal Extras ($6k) - Cap One Cash ($0.5k) - Amazon Store ($2.5k)

Application-Free Since the 14th of the Second May of 2012.
Message 23 of 55
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@Chrysostom wrote:

Damn, I guess they do. Do you realize how rare a $10k Discover limit is? Discover only goes to $15k, even if you have an 850 FICO, 990 VS, and make capital gains faster than you can write $1000 checks to spend them.

I've never even heard of a $10k Discover limit in real life. $5k is considered excellent for Discover in any case - there being dozens of individuals that have $25k here, $23k here, $24.9k here, and $3.6k on Discover. Congratulations!

I was approved for a 13.2 limit when I applied.  797 credit score at the time, and a 101 income. 

I transfer 12K to the card........ May have been the reason for the high limit.  I paided it off in 4 months, and I am going to ask for 20K at my 6 month mark.

I'll let you know what happens when I hit the luv button. 

Message 24 of 55
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Discover has whittled down their card selections, with only the IT card and a couple of business cards showing up on their website.  Seems like they've perhaps narrowed their focus to an even more select niche market, and are going after that market aggressively. 

Had no problem here getting a CLI to $10K with Discover, and that was before hitting the 800s. 

Even though they may appear overly generous with CL/CLI as witnessed by some of the posts here, keep in mind that folks here are a very select few in the vast scheme of Discover customers, most of whom have no idea about CL/CLI and how to go about maximizing their card's benefits.  I think they are still a very conservative company, just that folks that know how to play the credit game get the best benefits from them. 

Message 25 of 55
Open123
Super Contributor

@Chrysostom wrote:

...Discover fans (average credit card users more than points hounds) are more loyal to Discover than even to Amex, and average credit card users outnumber points hounds probably 500-to-1. Points hounds are ridiculously loyal to Amex, to the point that some still try to defend MR as worth something, claiming, even on this forum, "it's designed for high spenders, that's why no one sees a benefit". I'm a high spender and I cancelled my PRG, because it frankly wasn't worth putting $30k spend on it to get the bonus points (which barely cover the AF) when there are so many better cards with lower annual fees that give a much better return to put $30k of spend on...

Good points on the aspirational differences betweens rewards card users and cashback users.

For maximizing cash value, I'm curious why you have a loyalty to Discover?  Would it not be more beneficial to use 5% on Discover *only* up to the $1,500, and then everything else on the no-fee 2% Fid Amex?  And, whatever in between make it up with the 5% Freedom?

Message 26 of 55
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I got my first Discover in Oct with an initial $4k line.

It pales in comparison to my other lines.
However, I don't use it that much. Hoping for at least $7500 -$10,000 at the 6 month mark.

It's also worth noting that Amex is number ONE on JD Power's list for Customer Service in banking! Saw it last night on something! I can't justify using Discover as an every day card as the rewards on my Motiva just aren't that great:-/
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 27 of 55
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Chrysostom wrote:

My mother has a $17k Discover limit - so I don't know where you got your $15k limit information from...

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 28 of 55
BearOSO
Contributor

There is a significant change in payment behavior. I read an article last month which stated that Discover has less deliquency among its CC holders than other CCC over the past year. I think with people being more privvy to watch their debt or credit - and receving more of it - will edge up the deliqunecy factor for the next year as people will see more wiggle room (ex: CLI) and will push the envelope further. 

Message 29 of 55
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@RSCo wrote:

@Chrysostom wrote:

Wow, really.. I had no idea they were that conservative.. I was a bit surprised.. My Fico is only 713 and my partners is 823.. Maybe that's why he received 10k... The card is gorgeous and everyone always comments on it being unique..

I have a Discover limit over $10k. But it took me the better part of two decades to get there! A $10k approval from Discover right out of the bag is astonishing.

Message 30 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.