Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Having a Hard Pull Worth It?

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Is Having a Hard Pull Worth It?

This is just an observation. Is risking a hard pull to get a CLI worth it. I mean it's great if they say yes, but what if you are denied. Doesn't that really anger you as well as having that hard sit there on your report? As anyone taken that risk only to be denied? If so, who was the creditor? Thanks
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Is Having a Hard Pull Worth It?

if its for a decent result like a 3k CLI on a card you use for a lot of purchases, then its worth it, but if it results in a 300 CLI its pretty much wasted.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:
This is just an observation. Is risking a hard pull to get a CLI worth it. I mean it's great if they say yes, but what if you are denied. Doesn't that really anger you as well as having that hard sit there on your report? As anyone taken that risk only to be denied? If so, who was the creditor? Thanks

I haven't yet but was very close with CareCredit if I didn't argue my point with a supervisor it would have been a denial.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I think that's why people do their research by asking questions about who pulls what and specific card approval patterns. Sure, some people stretch a bit further than their reach, but for them it's worth the risk because the reward could be great. Others are very calculating, do their due diligence and when they app, the hard pull is certainly worth it because they'll more than likely be approved. 

I'd venture to say that many people on this site are - or want to be - in the latter camp. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 4 of 9
zerobacan
Established Contributor

I tried to get a cli in my 76/Citi gas card

BIG denial after an stupid wasted HP!

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 5 of 9
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

if its for a decent result like a 3k CLI on a card you use for a lot of purchases, then its worth it, but if it results in a 300 CLI its pretty much wasted.

I've been pondering that question. I've got one card that absolutely won't give an auto-CLI and won't give a customer-initiated CLI without a hard pull. I'm in the garden now, so no hard pulls for me. But in my long-term planning I'm wondering whether this stingy company will make an eventual HP worth my while or will make me curse that I bothered.

Even reading other people's results tells me nothing because their results are all over the board and I can't see what factors lead to satisfying CLIs and what factors result in comically low ones with this company (Chase).

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd only risk a HP for a CLI if I really needed it and were fairly certain I'd get it - like if my credit situation or income improved.

Message 7 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

All things being equal, I'd like a new account and sign up bonus for my HP.

Message 8 of 9
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

I've been pondering that question. I've got one card that absolutely won't give an auto-CLI and won't give a customer-initiated CLI without a hard pull. I'm in the garden now, so no hard pulls for me. But in my long-term planning I'm wondering whether this stingy company will make an eventual HP worth my while or will make me curse that I bothered.

Even reading other people's results tells me nothing because their results are all over the board and I can't see what factors lead to satisfying CLIs and what factors result in comically low ones with this company (Chase).

Chase has some highly secret mystical algorithm fpr determining credit worthiness. I have been reading for months that the best strategy to get a higher limit with them if your current card won't budge is to app for a new card and the odds are favorable that your new limit will likely be higher. Wrong. I eventually got the new card with no problems after calling when I received the dreaded pending review message. My new card's CL? Less than my current card that has been open with them for over 5 years. The new card also cost me two HPs and the two limits are not worth combining into one card. My Chase cards are quickly becoming the lowest limit cards I have.

I may attempt a CLI when I've been approved for several other cards I have on my radar at the end of the year. I may not though because with my luck and my low score on the Chase mystical algorithm meter I will probably get multiple HPs for a $500 increase.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.