cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is M&T Visa Signature card best no annual fee no transaction fee visa card?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Is M&T Visa Signature card best no annual fee no transaction fee visa card?

https://www.mtb.com/banking/credit-cards/credit-card-options

It's basically like Quicksilver but it's Visa. This may be useful to me, a cheap college student, when I go out of the country to places that only accept visa. I'm wondering if anyone has any better visa alternatives with no foriegn transaction fee and no annual fee.

I have one concern about the card though. If the card is so good, why haven't well known places make it known for its perks? Usually cards that aren't talked about a lot tend to be of significantly lower quality.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Is M&T Visa Signature card best no annual fee no transaction fee visa card?

Your NFCU is a Visa.  Maybe check out nerdwallet or cardmatch for some other options.  There's some CU's as well that offer no FTF on their cards as well that are easy access.

Message 2 of 26
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Your NFCU is a Visa.  Maybe check out nerdwallet or cardmatch for some other options.  There's some CU's as well that offer no FTF on their cards as well that are easy access.

Forget that credit union card I have in my signature that I'm waiting for it to expire off. If you knew me you would know how many rant threads I made about that card. I'll definitely checkout cardmatch though.

History of my credit
Message 3 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

It's basically like Quicksilver but it's Visa. This may be useful to me, a cheap college student, when I go out of the country to places that only accept visa. I'm wondering if anyone has any better visa alternatives with no foriegn transaction fee and no annual fee.

I have one concern about the card though. If the card is so good, why haven't well known places make it known for its perks? Usually cards that aren't talked about a lot tend to be of significantly lower quality.

There's nothing so special about it. It has foreign transaction fees, high cash advance & balance transfer fees etc.

If you want a card that has no foreign transaction fee and no annual fee there are hundreds or maybe thousands to choose from.

I myself have these: Barclay Ring MC, Barclay Jet Blue MC, PenFed Visa, Alliant CU Visa, NFCU Visa, Chase Amazon Prime Visa, Quicksilver

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

M&T is a smaller bank and are probably geographically limited, so a lot of people don't know about it. That would be my guess as to why it isn't mentioned much or at all.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

Forget that credit union card I have in my signature that I'm waiting for it to expire off. If you knew me you would know how many rant threads I made about that card. I'll definitely checkout cardmatch though.

I am confused, you have a Navy Federal Credit Union card or just that Maryland SECU card? 

Message 6 of 26
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

I am confused, you have a Navy Federal Credit Union card or just that Maryland SECU card? 

maryland secu

History of my credit
Message 7 of 26
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Hold on, I want to make sure we're all on the same page here. A lot of people are saying it has foriegn transaction fees but I'm not reading that. Here's what I'm reading "

• No annual fee​​1
  • Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase​​2
  • 10,000 bonus points after $500 in purchases2
  • 0% introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases for 12 months1
  • No foreign transaction fee on purchases made outside the U.S.​​1"

People were also saying it had foreign transaction fee in my other thread so I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from.

History of my credit
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

Hold on, I want to make sure we're all on the same page here. A lot of people are saying it has foriegn transaction fees but I'm not reading that. Here's what I'm reading "

• No annual fee​​1
  • Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase​​2
  • 10,000 bonus points after $500 in purchases2
  • 0% introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases for 12 months1
  • No foreign transaction fee on purchases made outside the U.S.​​1"

People were also saying it had foreign transaction fee in my other thread so I'm not sure where you guys are getting that from.

I checked the M&T website. There are no FTF's or annual fees for this card. The APR range is really good too. A coupe of things:

This is a smaller bank so there could be a good chance that they are conservative.

This is a Visa Signature; most banks have since lowered the required credit line from $5,000 to be approved for a Signature card; however, I can't find anything about where M&T stands on that. And I am not sure if they have a non Signature card that would be approved with the same benefits if an applicant does not qualify for the Signature card.

Since there is a chance that they are conservative, they might want to see that you have another $5,000 + credit line with another bank/financial institution. Based on your signature, it looks like you have a $2500 Discover and a $500 credit union Visa only.

I got it in my head that you may be a student (don't ask me why I am thinking that Aspire Student MD SECU card maybe); if so, would your scores and income be enough to be approved for a Visa Signature at a $5,000 limit?

Someone else brought up NFCU. Don't let MD SECU turn you off for all credit unions. There are a lot of great ones out there and NFCU has impressed me. The Cash Rewards card also offers 1.5% cash back and no FTF fees like this M&T card. NFCU will probably also give you a much higher credit line which could help down the line. You could always apply for the M&T card and if declined, go for the NFCU card. 

Message 9 of 26
noobody
Established Contributor

Which one is the visa only country?
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.