Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Navy FCU American Express the same as American Express

tag
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

Is Navy FCU American Express the same as American Express

I became a member of Navy FCU today! My wife and I filed chapter 13 back in October of 2012 and it was discharged in February of 2018. It has since fallen off all 3 bureaus. We've both re-established new credit since the discharge with Capital One being our first cards. My highest limit is with Discover for $12k, and my wife has a $10k Amex card. I burned Amex for about $17k. My wife was just a AU, so she was approved. I was prequalified with Amex, but when I applied about 2 months ago, I was quickly declined. The reason was previously member history with them. It doesn't look like Amex ever did a hard pull. Today when I logged in to Navy FCU under offers, it intially showed the Navy FCU Cash Rewards card as a option. When I now login and click the offers, it shows that I'm invited to apply for the Navy FCU Amex card. I would assume that American Express is American Express, or is it different because it's Navy FCU. My scores are Experian - 736, Transunion - 711, Equifax - 787. Thanks in advance for any replies.  

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Navy FCU American Express the same as American Express

Very different. The NFCU Amex is underwritten and issued by NFCU and is branded Amex, similarly to how a bank issues Visa or Mastercards.
Message 2 of 7
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

Ok, thanks for the reply! I wasn't going to apply, as I didn't want to burn a hard pull. The Navy FCU rep said I could apply for a credit card as soon as I became a member. 

Message 3 of 7
1hotcat
Regular Contributor

Apply now : The Card is considered a Co-Branded Card just like Macy's or Wells Fargo 

Starting Scores:

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 740 (All 3 Bureau's) June 2024 **

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
The 1st stone looks just like a stone until one day you realize that you put one on top of the other and now it's a skyscraper .  

Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Welcome to The NFCU FamilySmiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

I was approved, but with a CL of only $1,000. From what I've been reading in here for the past few weeks, I can ask NFCU for CLI after 90 days I guess. This is my lowest CL out of all my cards. 

Message 6 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new CC @kjonesjr00. An approval nonetheless!

Locking this thread as you have been approved. Feel free to start a new approval thread in the Approvals forum if you would like to do so.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.