cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Navy Federal A Good Credit Card Issuer?

tag
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Navy Federal A Good Credit Card Issuer?

Little experiment:

"NFCU"

Aaaand there's my HP. 

Re-entered the garden on 9/16/2013.

Starting Score: (TU) 517 (EQ) 469 (EX) 519 (6/1/2010)
Current Score: (TU98) 714 (TU04) 712 (EQ Beacon 5.0) 672 (EX -FICO v2) 724 (6/13/13)
Goal Score: 700 Club for all 3 (2 out of 3 so far)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I had two HPs from NFCU. Smiley Frustrated One for membership, the other for the cashRewards Visa Signature. Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 20
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I love NFCU. They are very generous with their credit products but man do they love their HP's. Although I still don't have the first HP showing up from applying with them over a month ago.

Message 13 of 20
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

I am wondering how does NFCU stack up against USAA or Amex, especially to the people who have experience.

USAA's CS is dog doodoo.  And reasons for why are many, but here are the two main reasons:  (1) Outsourced CSR's, and (2) CSR's with no education/experience.

USAA's requirement for an entry level CSR (a real CSR -- not an outsourced one) used to require that the job applicants must have at minimum 60 completed college semester hours, and (depending on which department they were applying to) at least 12 months of call center experience.  Years ago, USAA got rid of this requirement and the drop in CS satisfaction coincided.

And also for years, USAA has been outsourcing it's CS.  And naturally with outsourcing, it is much more difficult to sustain a higher level of control and competitive advantage in the level of CS satisfaction offered.

NFCU is far Superior! Smiley Very Happy 

Message 14 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

My only 'beef' with USAA is that they are stingy with CLI's.

But my experience with them servicewise has been great. They need to teach their agent the meaning of SP's and HP's

I was once told SP for a CLI twice (by the credit analyst who also checked with underwrtitng) only to get an EQ alert of a HP by them then next day. Called only to be told 'sorry you were told the wrong info'. But they did remove the HP promptly.

Message 15 of 20
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Just called Amex CS. A nice person in Philippines answered the phone. I prefer to have US based call center...

Message 16 of 20
hersheykisses
Regular Contributor

I enjoy the generosity of NFCU CL however they are the most HP happy company i have ever encountered.  2 HP per application IF your lucky.

OOPPSSS, just got another HP darnit.

Message 17 of 20
USF813
Frequent Contributor

They are above average when it comes to issuing credit cards, though I have to wonder if the generosity might come back to bite them in the future. Also, the are hard pull crazy, like clinically crazy.

Message 18 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Never used NFCU but I have always been very happy with USAA and not just for credit cards.  Will check out NFCU but I'm done apping for the moment since I just signed up with PenFed.

@kevinjjc wrote:

I noticed from your forum signature that you have a USAA American Express card. Just FYI, it's not considered a "real" American Express card.

It's real.  It's not AmEx-issued, just AmEx processed but that's the case with any AmEx card not issued by AmEx.

@CS800 wrote:

My only 'beef' with USAA is that they are stingy with CLI's.

They've always given me generous credit limits and decent rates (on cards and loans) depite my credit back when I signed up.  All of my CLI's with their cards have been automatic and were better than those of my other card issuers.

@DigitalArk wrote:

I am wondering how does NFCU stack up against USAA or Amex, especially to the people who have experience.

The AmEx comparison is going to vary on their end depending on the AmEx products being compared.  CS isn't equivalent across all of them.

Message 19 of 20
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

My experience with NFCU is has been a great one. I've been a member with them since 2001, and they are very generous with their products. Even in times when you fall short and get behind, they find ways to help you get back on track and even if you can't, but later you get back on track, they forgive. I love them. They have been the greatest lender to me, and there are other good ones but they truly rank the highest.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.