cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Netflix considered entertainment by Citi?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Is Netflix considered entertainment by Citi?

Just took over paying for the household Netflix account. Put it on the same card as my other bills but if I can get 5x on my Forward that'd be great, especially since I'm using it for my Apple Music subscription when the free trial runs out
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is Netflix considered entertainment by Citi?

yes Netflix, Spotify and similar services are considered Entertainment by Citi and I recieve bonus points on my TY Premier.

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 2 of 15
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Icyhot- 5% of $7.99/month is....probably too little to worry about lol.

But to answer your question yes it does count as entertainment.
Message 3 of 15
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Perhaps, but if it counts why not?
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 4 of 15
matthew2115
New Contributor

Edit after reading some of the other replies - it may count as entertainment for TYP, but it might not on the Forward since the category is more-narrowly defined there.  If it does, let me know so I can claim my extra $0.24 per month.  Smiley Wink

I seem to remember putting Netflix on my Forward some years ago only to have it code as "online services" or something and not get a bonus.  In fact if memory serves, the 5x "entertainment" umbrella for the Forward card isn't as broad as it is with the current card offerings.  It specifically includes only movie theaters, video rental stores, record stores (iTunes codes this way), and book stores (Amazon usually codes this way).  I forget this from time to time and then get irritated at myself when I buy tickets to a play on it.

Netflix is on my Discover card now (was specifically included in the movie bonus last quarter), and it codes as "DIRECT MRKTNG-ALL OTHER DIRECT MRKTRS."  I know that there are differences in the networks on how they code -- for example, the 7-11 near me codes as a convenience store with Amex and a gas station with Visa & MC.  And sometimes merchants change their codes -- for example, GrubHub used to code on Visa as an online service, but switched to restaurant recently (so that goes on my Forward now).  So, give it a shot!  If it doesn't get you the 5x, then you're not missing out on much by getting 1 TYP v 2% somewhere else for the one month.  Let us know how it turns out!

EX08: 841 | TU08: 841
EQ08 (Bankcard Enhanced) 844 (out of 900)
FAKO TU: 803
Vantage 3.0 - TU: 817 - EQ: 818
Message 5 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Dw4250 wrote:

That's one way to look at it, but I prefer the proverb, "If you watch the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves...". 

Message 6 of 15
jsucool76
Super Contributor

not even full 5% cash back with the forward. it's half that I think with statement credit (maybe less). you'll only get full value for travel vouchers and some gift cards or student loan payments. if you pair it with a premier or a Prestige you can end up with far more than 5% back.
Message 7 of 15
Cory
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

That's one way to look at it, but I prefer the proverb, "If you watch the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves...". 

Haha! That tickles! And I love that proverb. Thanks for sharing it.

Message 8 of 15
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I did some research on the Forward and had no idea Amazon counted as a category. Where have I been lol

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some grocery stores sell gift cards that can be credited to netflix/hulu etc as well, making them eligible for 4.5x MR for AmEx or 5-6% cash back from grocery cards etc.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.