Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Providian A Good "2nd Step" CC?

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Is Providian A Good "2nd Step" CC?

Hey,

I've been looking for a card to go after in the next few months just in case I feel I am not strong enough for Amex. I've noticed through a credit pull database that Providian seems to give $1k-$2k to TU scores over 620, even with collections. Have you noticed the same thing? Am I to assume they are a lenient lender that's considered more of an 'easy app' than the citi's/chase's of the world?

Thanks

PS. When my util is down I should be mid/higher 600's all things = with TU
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is Providian A Good "2nd Step" CC?

jbh wrote:
Hey,

I've been looking for a card to go after in the next few months just in case I feel I am not strong enough for Amex. I've noticed through a credit pull database that Providian seems to give $1k-$2k to TU scores over 620, even with collections. Have you noticed the same thing? Am I to assume they are a lenient lender that's considered more of an 'easy app' than the citi's/chase's of the world?

Thanks

PS. When my util is down I should be mid/higher 600's all things = with TU

Providian doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't for quite some time.  I'm assuming you're referring to WaMu?

Message 2 of 6
jbh
Established Contributor

Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. Yes, from the credit pull db it mentions Wamu/Providian.

I am probably to assume, then, that those glory days are over? Or is Wamu known for being a lenient lender and not as demanding as Amex/Citi/Higher End cards.
Message 3 of 6
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Wait until your scores are up - then pre-app BofA through website.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

jbh wrote:
Interesting. I wasn't sure of that. Yes, from the credit pull db it mentions Wamu/Providian.

I am probably to assume, then, that those glory days are over? Or is Wamu known for being a lenient lender and not as demanding as Amex/Citi/Higher End cards.

The general consensus is that WaMu falls in the range of "better than subprime but not quite prime."

WaMu has been very good to me.  They gave me 15 1/2 x my highest reporting limit when I applied for their rewards card in April, so I'm probably a little biased.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my wamu card I applied 9/07 in may the gave me 1k CLI +cash back up to that timeI had spent less than $400 and had 3 cycles with no balance.

Message Edited by rbbyrbsn on 08-13-2008 01:35 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.