cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There a Credit Card that Competes with Citi Double Cash?

tag
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Is There a Credit Card that Competes with Citi Double Cash?

State Department FCU has a really solid 2% card, too.  It has no FTF, cell phone insurance, $5 min redemption, true Chip + PIN if you want it, large limits and low APR and they seem to be a pretty solid credit union.  $200 Sign-up bonus, which the PayPal card strangely enough does not have at all (and if you work that out it is worth $10k of spend in cash back at 2%).

You can join the credit union as member of Consumer Council or something like that, so no true geo or employment restrictions I think.  Probably better to be a part of that CU than a customer of Synchrony, but I can't speak from personal experience on that, I'm not a member of SDFCU or a customer of Synchrony.

I think it is the next card I'm going to app for, just want to wait a bit for new accounts to age and maybe close some.

(*edit* gorramnit I talked myself into applying...)

Message 31 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

State Department FCU has a really solid 2% card, too.  It has no FTF, cell phone insurance, $5 min redemption, true Chip + PIN if you want it, large limits and low APR and they seem to be a pretty solid credit union.  $200 Sign-up bonus, which the PayPal card strangely enough does not have at all (and if you work that out it is worth $10k of spend in cash back at 2%).

You can join the credit union as member of Consumer Council or something like that, so no true geo or employment restrictions I think.  Probably better to be a part of that CU than a customer of Synchrony, but I can't speak from personal experience on that, I'm not a member of SDFCU or a customer of Synchrony.

I think it is the next card I'm going to app for, just want to wait a bit for new accounts to age and maybe close some.

That actually looks like a solid card with a decent APR range too (11.24-17.24%). 

If someone has a big purchase to hit the 3K target, it’s a no brainer and minimum 5K SL is a bonus. 

Message 32 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

No-one has mentioned Blispay.   I wonder why.   Oh yes.....!

Message 33 of 45
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

If it's going to cost me a hard inquirey, I would want a nice bonus, not just simply 2% cash back. Like spend x amount in 3 months and receive x amount.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 34 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

If it's going to cost me a hard inquirey, I would want a nice bonus, not just simply 2% cash back. Like spend x amount in 3 months and receive x amount.

And you would probably want to be able to use it to purchase things too...

Message 35 of 45
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@10022016 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Doesn't "spend x amount in 3 months and receive x amount." mean exactly that?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 36 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@10022016 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Doesn't "spend x amount in 3 months and receive x amount." mean exactly that?

I guess you are missing the point that Blispay has suspended all charging, i.e. the card cannot be used.  A more significant reason for not suggesting it than like of sign up bonus

Message 37 of 45
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@10022016 wrote:

It seems they are the only one that offers 1% cash back on purchase and an additional 1% cash back when the balance is paid. 

In the event it hasn't been mentioned: Alliant FCU Visa signature alliantcreditunion.org/bank/visa-signature-card.

3% on everything the first year then 2.5% after that, $59 AF that is also waived the first year.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 38 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with the Alliant card is that you would have to spend close to 12k a year just to break even with that $59 AF after 1st year vs using a 2% competitor, 3% for the first year is still pretty sweet though.
Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The problem with the Alliant card is that you would have to spend close to 12k a year just to break even with that $59 AF after 1st year vs using a 2% competitor, 3% for the first year is still pretty sweet though.

Wait you mean I actually did the math right? I was going to post the same thing but I figured I had to be wrong (math is not a strong suit usually) - it’s crazy how much you have to actually spend to offset an AF! Smiley Surprised

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.