cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There a Credit Card that Competes with Citi Double Cash?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Is There a Credit Card that Competes with Citi Double Cash?

@digitek wrote:

State Department FCU has a really solid 2% card, too.  It has no FTF, cell phone insurance, $5 min redemption, true Chip + PIN if you want it, large limits and low APR and they seem to be a pretty solid credit union.  $200 Sign-up bonus, which the PayPal card strangely enough does not have at all (and if you work that out it is worth $10k of spend in cash back at 2%).

You can join the credit union as member of Consumer Council or something like that, so no true geo or employment restrictions I think.  Probably better to be a part of that CU than a customer of Synchrony, but I can't speak from personal experience on that, I'm not a member of SDFCU or a customer of Synchrony.

I think it is the next card I'm going to app for, just want to wait a bit for new accounts to age and maybe close some.

(*edit* gorramnit I talked myself into applying...)

The Chip+PIN, no FTF beats Double Cash. For a foreign traveller, those are big features.

I have the SDFCU Secured card for fun. one reason for hanging on to that is after they released the 2%, it might be one that I apply for eventually.

One nit about SDFCU, I have not found a way to pay the secured credit card from an outside checking account, from another bank. It seems like I have to transfer funds in to a SDFCU savings account, then pay the CC from that savings acct. Would not be as much of an issue if one had and regularly used the SDFCU checking account as well, but it's a different way of isolating the CC into SDFCU.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 41 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@digitek wrote:

State Department FCU has a really solid 2% card, too.  It has no FTF, cell phone insurance, $5 min redemption, true Chip + PIN if you want it, large limits and low APR and they seem to be a pretty solid credit union.  $200 Sign-up bonus, which the PayPal card strangely enough does not have at all (and if you work that out it is worth $10k of spend in cash back at 2%).

You can join the credit union as member of Consumer Council or something like that, so no true geo or employment restrictions I think.  Probably better to be a part of that CU than a customer of Synchrony, but I can't speak from personal experience on that, I'm not a member of SDFCU or a customer of Synchrony.

I think it is the next card I'm going to app for, just want to wait a bit for new accounts to age and maybe close some.

(*edit* gorramnit I talked myself into applying...)

The Chip+PIN, no FTF beats Double Cash. For a foreign traveller, those are big features.

I have the SDFCU Secured card for fun. one reason for hanging on to that is after they released the 2%, it might be one that I apply for eventually.

One nit about SDFCU, I have not found a way to pay the secured credit card from an outside checking account, from another bank. It seems like I have to transfer funds in to a SDFCU savings account, then pay the CC from that savings acct. Would not be as much of an issue if one had and regularly used the SDFCU checking account as well, but it's a different way of isolating the CC into SDFCU.

Yuck so push payments only? I’ve never even set up bill pay with FirstBank, I do pull for everything. 

Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be a huge turn off for me not being able to just setup autopay linked to external accounts. Can you at least push payment using external checking account billpay?
Message 43 of 45
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

I prefer the Paypal cashback MC. It serves as both a credit card and as paypal when the card is linked. If I shop a non-frequented site, I don't have to enter my cc # or enter my address because if I choose to pay with Paypal, all that is provided. I also have Paypal protection against fraud. So far no complaints... other than no cash incentive to sign up. Smiley Wink

@10022016 wrote:

It seems they are the only one that offers 1% cash back on purchase and an additional 1% cash back when the balance is paid. 

Message 44 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

I would think push would work, but I never use push payments for any cards, ever.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.