Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This True: 3x on Gas for the CSR???

tag
yowhatimean
Contributor

Is This True: 3x on Gas for the CSR???

I just read this article by Million Mile Secrets: https://millionmilesecrets.com/news/chase-credit-card-is-worth-the-annual-fee/?utm_source=Twitter&ut...

And the article was saying that you can get 3x points on gas with the CSR?

Has anyone heard of this before or know if this is true?

If it's true, I've been throwing away valuable points away for the last couple of years lol.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Is This True: 3x on Gas for the CSR???

It's only true if paying for gas codes as a travel expense and therefore gets 3X UR points per dollar. 

If that's the case you may be better of using the CSR to purchase gas than using a cash back card. The AMEX BCP card gives 3% cash back on gas purchases, and other cards pay 4-5% back (e.g., Costco, Ducks Unlimited, and Discover in certain quarters). 

Doing the math: UR points are valued at approximately $0.02 each, so 1,500 points is worth about $30. If instead you collected 3% cash back on $500 in gas purcahses, you'd make only $15. If you get 4% cash back (Costco VISA), you'd make $20. Even if you use your Ducks Unlimited card, you'd get $25 back. So if you earn 3X UR points per dollar on gas purchases, you're better off using the CSR card.

Not sure if gas purchases code as travel for earning UR points, but I'll bet someone here knows!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas station doesn't seem to be part of the travel category with CSP/CSR. See if anybody has different data point.

I use wells propel in combination with wells ziggy for 4.5% on gas.
Message 3 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

No it does not.  The article is incorrect.  Chase Freedom gets 5x up to $1,500 on a quarter during the year.  The $75 can be transferred to UR if you hold a UR card for 7,500 UR points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 4 of 6
yowhatimean
Contributor

That's what I figured. It sounded too good to be true. Thanks for the info everyone!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.