Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Chase CC good?

tag
cantretire
Contributor

Is a Chase CC good?

Any opinions?  I have a BT offer that may be good, but I wanted to hear from you folks before I spend the time to analyze it.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is a Chase CC good?

I love my Chase Freedom cards!  Highest limits, best rewards!  Only downside is the hard inquiry every time you want a CLI.  Chase Toys R Us card has a $30K limit after just over a year and I just took a BT offer of 3.99% for the life of balance (apparently that's about 2 years, but still very good!) to pay off my 9.24% Chase Auto Loan.
Message 2 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I love my Chase Freedom cards!  Highest limits, best rewards!  Only downside is the hard inquiry every time you want a CLI

I agree completely. However, there has been a little bit of rumblings on the forum recently about them restructuring the rewards program, so you might want to look into that. 

Here we go again...
Message 3 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Depends what you mean by good!

National card, prime, so good from that point of view.  Good CS as far as I am concerned.

If you want rewards, then it is a matter of what card gives you most of what you want.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I love my Chase Freedom cards!  Highest limits, best rewards!  Only downside is the hard inquiry every time you want a CLI

I agree completely. However, there has been a little bit of rumblings on the forum recently about them restructuring the rewards program, so you might want to look into that. 

Good point, the rewards for new accounts are being changed to be more like the Discover More card (bonus cash back in different quartlerly categories) instead of in the top 3 of 15 categories.  That's what makes them so good:  I have one Freedom card that I use for gas, groceries, and drugstores, getting 3% back on everything in that card, and another for everything else, getting 3% back on the 3 highest categories and 1% back on everything else!

There is also talk about Chase changing the minimum payment due to 5% and charging a $10 monthly charge, but this, it seems, will not be affecting me. 

Message 5 of 9
wmarat
Valued Contributor

The main disadvantage of Chace CC, IMHO, is Chase's eagerness to pull hard for CLI.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 6 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

i thought i had also seen some recent discussion about Chase inventing a monthly account maintenance fee on some of their accounts.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 9
cantretire
Contributor

Hmmm, maybe I'll pass then.  I'm not really buying much - i'm trying to paydown.  It may not be worth it if they've added fees.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those fees are not universal and appear to be only on a select set of cards.  So I wouldn't make that the only reason I declined a good BT offer to paydown some debt. 

My Chase Platinum has helped me over the last 13 months by being 0% on my BT's and purchases, I will be sad in February when that 0% goes away.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.