cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is applying for 3 CC's in 2 months a bad move?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is applying for 3 CC's in 2 months a bad move?

Hello everyone!

Although this is my first post, I've been reading and following advise from this forum for some time. I'd like a little advise if you will.

Sept 2007 I applied and received a First Premier credit card (250CL) to start rebuilding my credit. In April 09 I applied for a Chase Platinum Visa through the branch and was approved (3200CL). May 09 I decided to use BOA's pre approval link to see if I qualified for anything and was pre approved for four of their cards. I selected the BOA American Express and received the card 7 days later. I just cancelled the First Premier card early this week. I would like to replace it with a Discover Card having that I have a pre-approval letter in my hand. After that Im done I will have all the cards I need.

Two questions, do you think applying for the Discover card is a bit much in two months or should I apply, get it over with and allow my new cards to age? Second, I have yet to activate the BOA card, but should I ask for a credit limit increase at the time of activation?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Is applying for 3 CC's in 2 months a bad move?

Hate to be the party pooper but if I were you I would hold off on any more applications.
Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I don't see any harm in applying for that third card at all. I applied for and received 3 cards in less than a week recently myself. I believe Discover was the 2nd one I apped. They pulled a totally different report than the other 2.  Others here have apped for even more with little effect on their credit scores. 

In my case, like you, I hadn't applied for any credit in quite some time and  lost minimal score points.

Good cards, by the way. Congratulations. 

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 05-15-2009 04:48 PM
Message 2 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

ummm.. doesn't sound like you needed to rebuild at all... CANCEL FIRST PREMIER!!

congrats on Chase and BofA 

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

oh right and sure go ahead and apply for Discover I would say.

and yes you can ask for CLI with Bank of America at time of activation, people use to have success, not sure how they are now with that. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I was thinking about applying the beginning of June. But im  ready to pull the trigger now.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree..Yes apply for Discover.With the cards you currently have that would be a good mix. If you do decide to apply keep us informed.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditaddict,

Trust me. I needed to rebuild. I was a 473 beacon 3 years ago. I have 32 inquires within the last 2 years which are scheduled to drop off 12/09. Most of them were because i was in the market to get a car and the dealers shotgunned my report to everybody and their grandmother trying to get me approved. I fell behind on my mortgage several times countless 30 days lates, three time 90 days late and once 120 days late. Nevertheless, I cleaned up my report by disputing inaccurate items with the help of Lexington Law. I haven't been late on anything in almost three years.

My scores as of April 09: EFX 677 - TU 669 - XPN 670

Message 7 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Hate to be the party pooper but if I were you I would hold off on any more applications.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

smallfry,

I think you might be right.  Furthermore, I really don't need it. I'm just trying to get all my cards out the way so they may age simultaneously and eventually boost my credit score. I would love to join the 800 club one day! I guess i'll wait until the the beginning of next year before applying. Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.