Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

My local supermarket always asks people for ID when they do a credit card transaction but not for a debit transaction. I was under the impression that if your card is signed the store is not allowed to ask for ID. Can I report them to someone?
As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
heirophant
Established Contributor

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

They have the right to ask for ID even if it is signed.  Just an added layer of protection for the merchant so that they don't have to eat fraudulant charges if an investigation reveals they did not practice due diligence in proving you are the owner of the card.  And why would you complain?  They are protecting you in the process...its kinda a service to you.

Message Edited by heirophant on 06-24-2008 06:42 PM
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 2 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that is correct. I would assume you could report them to Visa or Mastercard itself, because I believe it is their network useage terms.
Message 3 of 56
chartley3
Frequent Contributor

Actually they can ask to see ID to validate you are who you say they are. With CC fraud rapid and with PCI compliance forcing retailers and merchants to be more proactive with security measures expect too see it more often.
Message 4 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll find this interesting and quite surprising.  This article appeared on MSN today and the link is below, but I have quoted the relevant part here as well.

Myth No. 3: Merchants may require identification, such as a driver's license, when you pay with a credit card.

Merchants' agreements with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover specifically forbid them from requiring identification. Your signature is supposed to be enough.

Furthermore, merchants' contracts with Visa and MasterCard are supposed to prevent them from even asking for ID. American Express and Discover don't prohibit asking but strongly discourage it.

Pretty weird in these times, don't you think?

Message 5 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

TexCredit is correct.  Merchants are not allowed to require ID in order to complete a credit card transaction, as long as the card is signed on the back.  They are supposed to compare your signature on the back of your card with the signature on the sales slip, and nothing more.

Those who require ID will say it is a measure of fraud and identity theft prevention.  Perhaps, but it is a matter of protecting the merchant from these types of fraud, not the consumer.  Showing my ID to a complete stranger who is working behind the counter actually puts me at greater risk of ID theft, IMO.  Nobody needs to see my ID to complete that transaction.

If they require ID or if they require minimum purchase amounts in order to use a CC, you may report them to Visa and/or MasterCard, who do follow up on these complaints.

A friend of mine who had his own retail business used to require a minimum purchase for CC transactions.  One day he received a letter from Visa or MC (don't remember which one) that he needed to stop that practice.  Instead, he (stupidly, IMO) chose to stop taking CCs altogether.

I reported a restaurant across the street from where I work for requiring a $15 minimum on CC transactions.  Shortly after that, the Visa and MC logos disappeared from their front window.

Merchants are not allowed to make their own rules or set their own policies when it comes to these things.

Message 6 of 56
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

A friend of mine who had his own retail business used to require a minimum purchase for CC transactions.  One day he received a letter from Visa or MC (don't remember which one) that he needed to stop that practice.  Instead, he (stupidly, IMO) chose to stop taking CCs altogether.

I reported a restaurant across the street from where I work for requiring a $15 minimum on CC transactions.  Shortly after that, the Visa and MC logos disappeared from their front window.

Merchants are not allowed to make their own rules or set their own policies when it comes to these things.

This is true but I still see many stores with signs that require minimum purchases. Maybe I'll challenge one of these merchants. Smiley Surprised
Message 7 of 56
greekjim
Contributor

Minimum charge amounts are pretty prevalent here in Wisconsin even though I know it is illegal, many do not.

Message Edited by greekjim on 06-24-2008 11:47 PM

Message Edited by greekjim on 06-24-2008 11:49 PM
EQ- 727 5/12/10
TU- 746 5/12/10
Message 8 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just show them the license...BUT, put your thumb over your address while you hold on to it.

The merchant or whoever never says "give it to me, place it in my hand"....but we always do for some stupid reason. Your address is not on your credit card so they do not need to see it.

I agree, it does put us at a greater risk for ID theft.

Ex: I have a grocery store that I go to all the time and there is a particular checker there that is talkative and seemingly not a threat to my security. We always use to make small talk because I go in there and see him all the time and I'm talkative also...UNTIL.... I was entering my phone number into the debit/CC machine (so I could access the store's "club card savings") ....and he was saying my full 10-digit number aloud as I was typing it in....without even looking! He had memorized my phone number! He said "sorry, just a habit". I was pissed and never went to his line again....told the manager too. He was trying to be clever but he came off as creepy and very scary. Never talked to him again.

So someone can see your address and memorize it....ecspecially after seeing it a number of times

Just don't show them your address and YOU HOLD ONTO IT if and when they ask to see I.D..

(except a cop of course)

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-25-2008 12:09 AM

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-25-2008 12:11 AM
Message 9 of 56
ShinyGirl
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just show them the license...BUT, put your thumb over your address while you hold on to it.

The merchant or whoever never says "give it to me, place it in my hand"....but we always do for some stupid reason. Your address is not on your credit card so they do not need to see it.

I agree, it does put us at a greater risk for ID theft.

Ex: I have a grocery store that I go to all the time and there is a particular checker there that is talkative and seemingly not a threat to my security. We always use to make small talk because I go in there and see him all the time and I'm talkative also...UNTIL.... I was entering my phone number into the debit/CC machine (so I could access the store's "club card savings") ....and he was saying my full 10-digit number aloud as I was typing it in....without even looking! He had memorized my phone number! He said "sorry, just a habit". I was pissed and never went to his line again....told the manager too. He was trying to be clever but he came off as creepy and very scary. Never talked to him again.

So someone can see your address and memorize it....ecspecially after seeing it a number of times

Just don't show them your address and YOU HOLD ONTO IT if and when they ask to see I.D..

(except a cop of course)

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-25-2008 12:09 AM

Message Edited by Jubeyy on 06-25-2008 12:11 AM

Good IDEA!!! Great! in my opinion. I'm extremely private...I try to be about certain things. I've known for a long time, though before this site I didn't know specifically that it's in the merchant agreement, that MC/Visa forbid requesting ID. I've always known that they are supposed to compare signatures.

However, not wanting to shoot myself in the foot and make a stink at a merchant when I'm buying something I need....I've complied and shown my ID. Depending on the merchant, I've said to the teller that they are not supposed to ask for ID per the "rules". I do understand, having worked retail briefly, that it is usually the retailer's rule for ID. Of course, the person behind the counter is just "following the boss' rules..."

I've had to tell the cashiers that they should be checking the signature, not just the name...as they commonly only check to be sure the names match.

E.g. my name could be Kimberly Jones and I could be using a card issued to a Kimberly Jones. However, if I am not THE Kimberly Jones whose signature matches the sig on the card, checking my NAME makes no difference. Again...this is why they should be checking signature not name.

And now, I've got a reason to retain my card in my hand instead of handing it over.

I fully realize the capacity for people to retain information as I am one of those people who can see numbers/information and involuntarily or voluntarily store it.
Someone who wanted to use that for criminal matters could do the same with my info.

It's just like the days when, to guarantee a check, merchants took down your credit card number on the check. TOO MUCH INFO FLOATING OUT THERE!!!

From now on, my fingers will cover my DL # and address. You want to confirm my name? That's all you'll see.
"...what good do your words do if they can't understand you??...."
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.