Did you mean: 

Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Is being ask to show ID against credit card/merchant agreement

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you. I've never even seen such a thing in a bar, or a restaurant for that matter. I think my stance is more for items that only cost $1-2, not even so much the $5 lunch that was brought up before. They are still making some money on a $4 sale, but when someone uses a card for a cheaper item they can potentially LOSE $. So, in that case, I can see where they are coming from even though they are in violation of their merchant account agreements. I'm just saying I see both sides and I see how they lose money on the small sales and for a struggling business, those charges could be the make or break point when it comes to whether they stay in business.

I totally agree. I definitely carry a small amount of cash in case I am buying something under 5 dollars in value, especially at the mom and pop stores. I never knew they had to pay extra to punch in the number by hand though.

I guess I'm just the heartless one in the bunch, LOL. I want my miles/points/cashback! Even if it's only one or two of them. Smiley Wink

I only use cash if I have no other choice, like at the newsstand outside my office, for example.

I too want every single point possible. A soda on my Chase Freedom card is $1.24, which is $.0124 percent cash back I'd be missing out on with cash.

They inflate prices to cover the offset caused by the CC, so I'm not concerned with it.
Here we go again...
Message 41 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always refer to this when this discussion comes up every few months-

Circuit City almost refused a recent transaction when I refused my DL.  I put them on notice that I would report them if I EVER had an issue like that again.
Message 42 of 56
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

If it's a mom and pop store, I pay cash for something small.  Unfortunately, those stores are few and far between.....
Message 43 of 56
msheresy
Regular Contributor

Timothy wrote:
I always refer to this when this discussion comes up every few months-

Circuit City almost refused a recent transaction when I refused my DL.  I put them on notice that I would report them if I EVER had an issue like that again.

That is halarious!!!  And not a singler cashier/server/whaterev ever noticed.....sad.
Message 44 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm in the opposite camp (as usual Smiley Happy ).

I've written on the back of my CCs at the end of the signature line "CHECK ID."

When the clerk actually does ask for my ID, I thank them for doing so.  If someone had stolen my CC, they wouldn't be able to get past that clerk because they couldn't produce a matching picture ID (unless they are my evil twin doppelganger).

Yes, I know this does me no good if the clerk doesn't ask for ID (and most don't) but it does give me some measure of protection.
Message 45 of 56
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

When I was a server/bartender I was the crazy one who always asked for ID if it said CHECK ID.  What amazed me was when people acted like it was an inconvenience for me to do so.  (Granted these ppl were rare, but SHEESH - don't write it on there if you don't mean it!)

Of course, I was also the evil person who would not serve you with an expired license.  Hahahahahahahahahhaa!  Oh, and I also kicked kids out for smoking if they were under 18.  (We sold cigarettes in the bar so that was an issue.)

After reading this thread I finally decided to actually SIGN my cards.  I hadn't reallly given it much thought prior to this, but you guys made me a believer!  Time to go charge a $1 iced tea at McDonalds!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 46 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm with you on this.

when i worked retail in the bay area there was such a high identity theft area that my customer would actually scrutinize any of the cashiers if they didn't ask.  I get mad myself when they don't ask for ID.  You should have seen some of the sketchy, signed credit cards we got that were stolen.  and when asked about it, "oh uh, sorry i forgot my ID in my car." they'd run out and were never seen again. If anything i think more retailers should be checking ID, but to each their own.
Message 47 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest you not use a cc in Lowes, they always ask me for ID. I don't mind any merchant asking for my ID when using cc. I actually appreciate it. I now even write on the back of my card SEE ID instead of signing it.

How about this question, are merchants permitted to charge a transaction fee to the customer or is that a violation? I live in an area were there are many mom & pop store's, I never go in this particular store however my son does and he always uses his debit card and they charge him .50 each time. He has learned the hard way of using pin numbers since his card number was stolen at school. He now always hits cancel on the keypad and hits the credit key per my banks advice because POS purchases are not fully covered ($50 deductible) by the bank if a pin is used and an unauthorized purchase is reported to a merchant that you frequent.

Message Edited by Bran9192 on 06-26-2008 03:20 PM
Message 48 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bran9192 wrote:
I suggest you not use a cc in Lowes, they always ask me for ID. I don't mind any merchant asking for my ID when using cc. I actually appreciate it. I now even write on the back of my card SEE ID instead of signing it.

How about this question, are merchants permitted to charge a transaction fee to the customer or is that a violation? I live in an area were there are many mom & pop store's, I never go in this particular store however my son does and he always uses his debit card and they charge him .50 each time. He has learned the hard way of using pin numbers since his card number was stolen at school. He now always hits cancel on the keypad and hits the credit key per my banks advice because POS purchases are not fully covered ($50 deductible) by the bank if a pin is used and an unauthorized purchase is reported to a merchant that you frequent.

That is a violation.  They are not allowed to charge additional fees for using a credit card.  They are, however, allowed to offer a discount for paying cash.  This is really six of one and half a dozen of the other for the most part, but the signage must be very clear that they are offering a discount for paying by cash and not a fee for using a CC.

Message 49 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheddar!
I always thought they charged him a fee because he was a kid and wouldn't realize the difference and like I said I don't go it this store since it was bought by new people and they have employeed a noisey neighbor that likes to scream profanity at my daughter. Now that I know this I think I'm going to make it a point to go in with him the next time he stops in there! Where can I find some kind of documentation of this rule to provide the next time he goes in there. I have asked him not to shop there however it's the only store between home & school ( 3 miles away from home ) and he would rather pay the .50 than drive 15 minutes out of the way for drinks or whatever.
Message 50 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.