cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a good idea to get a American Express Rewards Gold Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it a good idea to get a American Express Rewards Gold Card?

I'm pre approved for one.  Is it worth getting it?  If I get it, will it be easier for me to get an everyday card?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it a good idea to get a American Express Rewards Gold Card?

the Everyday isn't all that tough to get. Having history with Amex may help, but I don't know that getting the Gold card would be worth or not to you. $195 AF starting the second year wouldn't justify its use for myself

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Getting a card without knowing if you can benefit from it is a sign that you need to slow down first . Good to ask questions as you have but no one here can tell you if it's good choice for you unless you let us know where you spend your money or how. With that, many here have experience they can share. If your score and profile are good enough you can get an ED without a gold card or even a preapproval.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyday is probably better. It really just depends on if you can effectively utilize the Membership Rewards points. If you have a trip coming up the 50k sign up bonus(presumably)can get you most places.  The annual fee is waived the first year so try it and see if you like it. You can use the travel credit twice before you renew so you can get a lot of value from your first year.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not worth keeping the card beyond the first year unless you make use of the 3% on flights often. 2% on restaurants and groceries is not worth a $95 effective AF.

However for churning, it's as good as cards get. 50k MR's, no AF the first year, $200 in flight incidentals is a really solid deal.
Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Anyone who flies enough that 3x on flights is actually a factor is likely better off with a Platinum.

Personally I use Prestige or Hyatt for the delay and cancelation protection Amex does not automatically include.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not worth keeping the card beyond the first year unless you make use of the 3% on flights often. 2% on restaurants and groceries is not worth a $95 effective AF.

However for churning, it's as good as cards get. 50k MR's, no AF the first year, $200 in flight incidentals is a really solid deal.

I'm on year #2 with the Amex PRG, after my AF posted I called the retentions line and was given 3 options to keep the card... I took the 10K MR points for $1500 spend (other options were 20K MR for $3k spend / $50 credit now and $50 after $???? spend)... already ahead with $200 in airline credits + the original SUB, but I'll likely switch to the CSP if I can't get another Amex offer.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to see, I just hope I can remember to ask about any retention offers when my AF comes due! I probably shouldn't have done both the PRG and Gold Delta at teh same time, but the combined subs will get me a fee trip between now an then. So I couldn't pass that up. Airline credits are no good to me, as I don't check my bags. 

If no offers are available to me, then I'll likely downgrade one of them. Just not sure which yet.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use the airline incidental credit from PRG for a $100 southwest gift card, a $100 American Airlines gift card or 2 $50 delta gift cards. Look up Flyertalk Amex forum for data points
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My decision to get the card was primarily driven by the fact that the PRG was the best card that I was pre-approved for which offered no foreign transaction fees. As I split my time between the US and my home country, this was by far the largest benefit.

Of course, there are better travel reward cards out there--but for me, the PRG was the lowest hanging fruit. Because I might also eventually return to my home country after I finish my studies in the US, the opportunity for a Global Transfer into an Amex back home (4+ years in the US has resulted in a very thin credit history there) instead of applying for entry-level CCs there were also a factor.

But if you don't travel often, or even if you do, you don't go overseas often, then there are better cards out there--especially if you aren't held back by a young AAOA like I am (which precludes me from Chase cards, for instance...).

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.