Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it bad to pre-qualify often?

tag
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Is it bad to pre-qualify often?

When I first joined myFICO I had a thread about an old baddie on my credit. I was advised to get my annualcreditreport.com report so I could see the DOFD. When I did this I was able to see all the SP inquiries that lenders do and that I generate by pulling my CR’s. Do prequals show up here? Like if I go try for Amex, does it show on my EX report or only when AMEX does it? I prequal daily on Amex, Chase, and Citi. I probably shouldn’t because the first time I get an offer I will probably scream like a school girl and app like a coke fiend. It occurred to me today that if the lenders can see this, I might be hurting myself. Any thoughts on this?

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it bad to pre-qualify often?

Too many soft pull inquries could result in a split file, which can be a problem.

Message 2 of 28
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

A split file? I will have to look that up. Sounds liek I might need to stop until I have a look at them. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so.  I do it too.  If you look at your sp's, it says only you can see those.  The sites could keep track but I doubt it.  

Message 4 of 28
sr383
Regular Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I will probably scream like a school girl and app like a coke fiend. 

Classic! Smiley Very Happy

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sr383 wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I will probably scream like a school girl and app like a coke fiend. 

Classic! Smiley Very Happy

Yes, that made me laugh out loud!!!

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been on here a while and have no idea what a split file is? Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 28
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@MyLoFICO wrote:

When I first joined myFICO I had a thread about an old baddie on my credit. I was advised to get my annualcreditreport.com report so I could see the DOFD. When I did this I was able to see all the SP inquiries that lenders do and that I generate by pulling my CR’s. Do prequals show up here? Like if I go try for Amex, does it show on my EX report or only when AMEX does it? I prequal daily on Amex, Chase, and Citi. I probably shouldn’t because the first time I get an offer I will probably scream like a school girl and app like a coke fiend. It occurred to me today that if the lenders can see this, I might be hurting myself. Any thoughts on this?

ADDICT (bolded black) Smiley Tongue

I do this often but not daily and I hope it won't cause problems for me. I've always wondered but didn't bother to ask. 

I am so dead right now (at the bolded red)Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOLSmiley LOL

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly why I'm in the garden!  Woman Very Happy

Message 9 of 28
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly why I'm in the garden!  Woman Very Happy

So you don't check pre-quals while gardening? Smiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.