cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it dumb applying for a card solely for the signup bonus and APR offer?

tag
luxlight
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it dumb applying for a card solely for the signup bonus and APR offer?

Well once i finish using the card, im thinking about either product changing it or simply sockdrawing. Currently, I've been getting about 1 credit card a year. I don't know if thats super suspicious with my profile as I'm just under 2 years in total credit history though

FICO 8 Scores

TU: 743 [2 Inquiry] | EQ: 742 (FAKO) [0 Inquiry] | EX: 753 [4 Inquiries]

AAoA = 2 years, AAoOA = 3 year 1 months

Message 11 of 33
luxlight
Regular Contributor

The trip wouldnt cost much and would be around $1-$2k after ticket prices and passport costs. I'm thinking of getting the Travel Rewards first then product changing to the Cash Rewards once i finish the 0% apr offer

FICO 8 Scores

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done over 10 in the last 2 years and it's been fine... other than the couple of denials for too many accounts.

1/year should be safe to keep your scores somewhat decent while building up an arsenal of cards.  

Message 13 of 33
luxlight
Regular Contributor

I saw the Premium Rewards but if im being honest, I don't have enough natural spend to hit $3k in 3 months. Thats why i settled on the TR as its within my means

FICO 8 Scores

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats really how the game is played,, this is the exact reason behind the chase 5/24 rule,,, get the best SUB and grab the card no harm no foul imo

Message 15 of 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think it is dumb. One should only get a new card for its looks and whether it can compete somewhat with the Premium Credit One Nascar 1% Cashback Visa. If neither reason can validate these, then you know its time to Garden Olive. 😏
Message 16 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It’s not dumb per se but you don’t want to make a habit out of it. Lenders are catching on to patterns more and more. Beyond that, as otherwise mentioned, a signup bonus isn’t changing anyone’s life.
Message 17 of 33
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I wouldn’t say it’s “dumb.” However, I personally wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think I would use the card AFTER getting the SUB. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 18 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

I wouldn’t say it’s “dumb.” However, I personally wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think I would use the card AFTER getting the SUB. 

If the card is useful, that's obviously an extra bonus, but I wouldn't rule out a great SUB on those grounds (e.g. think of $1000 SUB for $500 spend, on a general 0.5% card.   I might bite!)

I'm more against the mindset of "keeper cards".   The marketplace is sufficiently dynamic for this not to make much sense: cards get nerfed, better cards come along (before they get nerfed) and needs change.  So, IMO, not much place for "loyalty"

Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s never dumb to save money. If a bank is going to throw money at you to use their card, I say take it. As soon as I have a major purchase with solid numbers, I can guarantee you I’ll be going for the best SUB I can get on that purchase. 

Its only dumb if you have to spend money you wouldn’t have otherwise spent to hit the SUB. Just make sure you keep the card for a full year so you don’t get put on the naughty list with that lender. 

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.