cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it embarrasing using AMEX at a fast food?

I'm in the minority.  Our daily expenses (food and incidentals) are paid in cash.  My wife takes out a set amount each Monday and that is her budget.  I chuckle at those who believe using CC's exclusively (so they can get rewards) is the cheapest way to go.  Many studies have shown people will spend less when they are spending cold hard cash rather than using a debit or charge card.  A 2 or 3% reward can easily be chewed up by undisciplined use of a charge card.  People will say they are disciplined, but human nature has shown otherwise. 

Everybody has their own scheme, so everyone should use what they are comfortable with, but I've been behind enough people at a fast food restaurant line charging their meals on a CC when I could pretty well guarantee they wouldn't be there if they had to pay cash, but that's another issue.  I like to use cash for the small stuff so I don't have to worry about paying for it later.  Larger items (say, $20+) are all charged on cards and PIF at the end of the month.

Accepting cards for small purchases would not be done if the establishment was losing money on the deal.  The Mickey D's of the world have done their homework and have concluded it helps their sales, i.e., people will buy more when they wave a card for the purchase, and people who like to use cards will stop in more often..     

Message Edited by Watchmann on 08-22-2009 12:27 PM
Message Edited by Watchmann on 08-22-2009 12:28 PM
Message 21 of 109
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I think that program is quite reasonable.

McD has already factored the costs into their prices.

Message 22 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do this. my since 2006 my checking activty has been reduced checks written ACH tranfes to online saving

and the credit cards are paid form savings accounts when I need cash I go to wal-mart buy a RC cola that costs less than a $! and get cash over it's kind like a yummy fee I also hate recive pusedo cash as gifts(gift certs .etc) I don't use cash cash goes up in flames and it's unrewarding

Message 23 of 109
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Not so - I have over $1600 sitting in my bureau drawer and the same $1600 has been sitting there for over a year. If you can't control your cash outflow how on earth would you ever control your credit expenditures?
Message 24 of 109
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Accepting credit cards at a retail establishment is a necessary evil if you hope to survive. Trust me when I say they have credit transaction expenses factored into their prices.
Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 25 of 109
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are also alot of expenses for a company to accept cash.  They either have to have an amored truck come and pick up the cash or have an employee take it to the bank.  It may not be a per transaction fee or a % of the transaction but it still costs money. 

The only time I use cash is tipping the maid at a hotel and vending machines and I'm trying to stop using vending machines.

Message 26 of 109
-RED
Regular Contributor

I don't eat fast food, but if I did I would rather do that, then hold any AMEX card!

American Express does not know how to treat a customer! Thus the very reason why I no longer hold even one.

Customer satisfaction is worthlesss... Customer loyalty is priceless...

Message Edited by -RED on 08-23-2009 06:22 AM
Message Edited by -RED on 08-23-2009 06:23 AM
-800 or Bust...!
Message 27 of 109
DI
Super Contributor

@-RED wrote:

I don't eat fast food, but if I did I would rather do that, then hold any AMEX card!

American Express does not know how to treat a customer! Thus the very reason why I no longer hold even one.

Customer satisfaction is worthlesss... Customer loyalty is priceless...

Message Edited by -RED on 08-23-2009 06:22 AM
Message Edited by -RED on 08-23-2009 06:23 AM

I like my Blue from American Express.   If they have bad customer service so be it.  As long as I pay my bill in fulll each month and on time, I shouldn't have any reason to call or deal with AE's customer service.

If I have a question about something, I can simply send a secured email via AE"s website.  

Message 28 of 109
-RED
Regular Contributor

I HAD A BLUE LOC, and closed it because I like being treat with a level of respect. I perfer one on one, instead of email that is misunderstood/impersonal, more often than not. To each their own, without a doubt... I have a standard that I apply to my customers, that I too feel should be a given, but to AMEX they act like they are above the rest of the industry, and that is just not the case. They are to big for their own fricking britches!!
-800 or Bust...!
Message 29 of 109
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

Sometimes its good to use cash. In most cases it will save money in the long run. Unfortunaly in my case being a business owner I use my card quite alot I think there was over 300 purchases on it last month alone I usually PIF The card every month and get rewards as perks. And yes to the OP I have used a Amex card to get a BigMac combo at Micky D'S Plenty of times Heck 1 time I bought 1 bottle of pop 1.59 on my chase freedom card becase I never carry money around
2wheel
Message 30 of 109
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.