Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it even worth disputing an inquiry?

tag
happyhome40
New Contributor

Is it even worth disputing an inquiry?

I was planning to apply for a personal loan from mcried it union, I sent in the info but I called the next day and told them not to process it because I had changed my mind. I checked my report and saw that they ran my credit anyway. Is it worth disputing with the credit bureaus? Will they remove them? If it is worth it, should I do an o

Ine dispute or call the bureaus individually?

Thanks in advance,

Monica

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it even worth disputing an inquiry?

@happyhome40 wrote:

I was planning to apply for a personal loan from mcried it union, I sent in the info but I called the next day and told them not to process it because I had changed my mind. I checked my report and saw that they ran my credit anyway. Is it worth disputing with the credit bureaus? Will they remove them? If it is worth it, should I do an o

Ine dispute or call the bureaus individually?

Thanks in advance,

Monica

That depends... have you checked your credit score since the inq was applied? Depending on the type of inq your credit can drop anywhere from 3 to 20 points... obviously, 20 points being a substantial loan aka a mortgage or home equity loan/line... if you have a lot of inq's already then another inq is going to hurt.. so you may want to try and have it removed..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Not worth the effort.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's not worth your time to dispute it. The FICO® score ding is usually minimal and in this case the creditor had permissible purpose to pull your report.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 9
happyhome40
New Contributor

The thing is, I didn't receive an alert from score watch nor has my score changed, this was back in June and I just so happened to sign up for credit karma last night because it's free. That's where I saw the inqs. They ran my credit twice, this makes seven inqs. One will fall out in October. I don't plan on applying for anything else credit wise. I got all the cards I needed this year so I'mpretty much in gardening mode. But I am buying a house next year, will those six inquiries affect myapplying for an loan,particularly a FHA loan?

Message 5 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'd say if you think its worth it to you go for it! Good luck!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@happyhome40 wrote:

The thing is, I didn't receive an alert from score watch nor has my score changed, this was back in June and I just so happened to sign up for credit karma last night because it's free. That's where I saw the inqs. They ran my credit twice, this makes seven inqs. One will fall out in October. I don't plan on applying for anything else credit wise. I got all the cards I needed this year so I'mpretty much in gardening mode. But I am buying a house next year, will those six inquiries affect myapplying for an loan,particularly a FHA loan?

Won't matter FHA as long as you're above the minimum credit score.

There's little to nothing you can do about it except waste your time on this, and if you're talking buying next summer it's pretty much a non-issue anyway.

That said, Scorewatch tracks EQ, TU would be the score to be concerned about if the inquiries show up on TU, but generally speaking if you already had 4-5 on there anyway, ain't no big thing.  I went from 9-10 recently on TU (bunch of auto loan ones that appear to have been miscoded in my case) and my score moved not a bit.  Inquiry damage is vastly overstated here, they're gone in a year, and the more inquiries you have, the less they count statistically.  I pretty much look at inquiries as 0, 1, or more than 1 at this point, though that's not entirely accurate, they are scored on decreasing step function, so odds are in your case you took either no penalty, or it was a small one anyway.

        
Message 7 of 9
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I have successfully disputed 4 inquiries using the form letter I found on the rebuilding forum. The thing is you have to dispute them directly with the creditor and not the cra's.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I disputed one inquiry with Comcast and they deleted it in couple of weeks Smiley Happy

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.