Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time for a new Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is it time for a new Credit Card?

I was looking at...

Discover Open Road Card and/or the Blue Cash from American Express.

If you apply for the Blue Cash and you do not qualify will they offer you the regular Blue card instead or do you have to reapply for that one?

Thanks
Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are the 3 best cards.

1.AMEX BLUE CASH

2.CHASE FREEDOM

3.DISCOVER MOTIVA

Message Edited by ashabbir1 on 05-02-2008 12:52 PM
Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

How difficult is it to get those cards?
Message 13 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Again, what are her scores, especially on EX?

And if she's getting an auto loan through USAA, she should absolutely try to get their MC to start with. They have both a student option and the regular. Both my daughters got the straight MC's, even though they were in college.

I would argue with the Blue Cash, unless she can put her tuition on it or something. (Highly doubtful with an AmEx.) The rewards are pathetic until you have spent $6500, when they finally kick in, but only until 12 months are up, and then you start all over again. The Blue (or Blue Sky if she hopes to travel) would be better. There is a student version of the Blue if her income won't support a regular Blue. 700 on EX would be fine for the regular Blue; don't know about the student. Check out www.whogavemecredit.com.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 36
techgirl
Frequent Contributor

I think your local Federal Credit Union would be the best bet...
05/12: approx 680 across the board
04/08 EQ: 730 TU: 748 EX: 718
03/08: EQ: 713 TU: ? EX: ?
12/07: EQ: 689 TU: 711 EX: 721
Message 15 of 36
krdvg

I am a student too and the citi mtvU was my first card. I now have 4 cards. Dont apply for Chase or AMEX student cards. They are worst at student credit cards. Apply for Discover Student card. Guaranteed $1000. Then apply for one of those alumni association student cards from Bank of America. They give minimum 1000-2000. All these are with limited history. HTH.
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Again, what are her scores, especially on EX?

I don't know her EX or TU score but her Equifax score is 684 and the car is not on the report yet.
Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well she got declined for the American Express Blue (684 EQ)

What do we do now?

Do we reapply for the Student American Express or Gold Delta?

Do we just call them and ask to be considered for the student or Gold Delta or do we have to reapply and have another inquiry hit her report?

Thanks
Message 18 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Well she got declined for the American Express Blue (684 EQ)

What do we do now?

Do we reapply for the Student American Express or Gold Delta?

Do we just call them and ask to be considered for the student or Gold Delta or do we have to reapply and have another inquiry hit her report?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Her score looks decent, so I'm guessing it was an income issue or thin, short file.

Did they give her the reason for the decline?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

It said to get the reason you had to agree to get information electronically and I was not sure if once you did that does that mean they will only send you emails from now on and not any regular mail so we did not choose to see the reason yet.
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.