cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true Capital One loves it when people carries a balance?

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Is it true Capital One loves it when people carries a balance?

Yes.

Ron.
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got luv at 50% util on a 2 month old quicksilver card. I'm loved!!!!
Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have a $500 on my amex right now. i just pay $200 a month or whatever i want. if amex had an issue they shouldn't have offered me 0% apr for 15 months. i will gladly take it. they won't close my account over it and i am positive my measly balance won't pop me on a blacklist. now if i am at 90% utilization on it and pay $35 a month they may not enjoy it but they won't close it either. they'll just keep lowering my limit the more i pay off to reduce exposure. but that's any card company not just amex. PIF is a good habit but isn't necessary if you have 0% apr. sometimes things happen where a balance is necessary unfortunately. the only time amex is a real stickler is if you carry a balance on their charge cards.
Message 13 of 32
happypill
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I think the amex hates balances mantra is over repeated. Dont max out your card and pay minimums and youll likely be fine.

As for cap one, they like usage, not necessarily carrying a balance. Any creditor wants you to use their card a lot. But carrying a balance and paying interest isnt necessary for them to "like" you.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I think all card issuers like it if you carry some kind of balance, because you give up your grace period and pay huge interest charges.  People who PIF every month are just getting free use of their money + rewards in many cases.

I can testify from experience that Capital One loves usage.  I have never carried a balance with them but have huge use and they have stepped up my limits from $500 to $1k to $3k to $5k to $30 over the course of the last year or so.

Message 14 of 32
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

+1 to happy pill. Usage and reporting a balance is one thing. Carrying a balance is something else completely.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One does not mind you carrying a balance, just make sure you pay way more than the minimum. FWIW, the times that I was carrying (or at least reporting) a large balance is the times that I got the best CLIs with them. So my opinion is yes they like at least some balances.  All lenders like heavy usage and large monthly payments, and I'm pretty sure none of them mind people carrying a balance because they make money off of the interest. Now I wouldn't recommend maxing out your card though; no lender likes that.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Royalbacon wrote:

Is it true Capital One loves it when people carries a balance? I guess I don't mean "loves", but are they the type that prefers people to carry a balance? Because I know Amex is the exact opposite, and I know just how sacrilegious it is to carry a balance with American Express and how they'll blacklist you and close your cards and what not.

I just received a 70% CLI on one of my Cap 1 cards (4+ months old). I always PIF like I do with my other cards. The only difference is this particular card I use heavily. However, I pay it down throughout the month so that my reporting statement balance is never above 30% or my available credit is less than 50%. So my conclusion is even though I ve never paid them a penny in interest, they gave me a stellar CLI bc of my heavy use for which they're still making money.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my own story that I posted back in April. I carried over $16k maxed out CapOne card and $14k maxed out AMEX card. For many years I was only able to make the minimum payment due. I got a second chance unexpectedly last year and after many years of carrying that huge debt, I suddenly had both cards (and other debt) paid in Nov. 2014. It was such a great feeling, and I was determined to a) never get back into debt and b) never own another credit card. Obviously, that changed as I became wise over here and now using cards for rewards and PIF. 

It's funny you ask about Capital One and AMEX, because those were my two main maxed out cards. So, 5 months later, in April 2015, I applied for a Capital One Quicksilver and immedately got a $10k limit. AMEX BCE was not as generous, but did give me $2k limit when I applied a couple of weeks earlier and now up to $6k. Do they love when you max out or pay minimum, probably in the long run, no, as long as you're paying it each month and they know they're making a fortune in interest, they're probably happy.

If interested, here's my story I posted a few months ago: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Second-Chances/td-p/3998578

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've answered "never" in my past two applications and got denied.

http://i.imgur.com/daSrcd7.png

Message 19 of 32
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
I think in general, most credit card companies like seeing balances carried as they make money from interest. I think what scares them is high utilization across the board on many cards.

While its true that there is a large group that believes Amex frowns upon carrying a balance, they offer zero percent to lure people in to carry a balance. I don't think it's absolutely true that they'll blacklist you and close you off unless you present a significant threat to their ability to recover what they have extended to you. I think as long as you pay well over the minimum payment required they will leave you alone

True. I have been carrying a balance on my ED for several months and have gotten a 3X CLI when I was carrying a balance. I haven't been blacklisted, shutdown or CLD. There were times I used and PIF. My 0% expires soon so it'll be paid off by then. Matter of fatc, AMEX gave me 2 more cards while carrying that balance. Mind you, I've never maxed or came close to and I ALWAYS pay 5/6 or more times the minimum. 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.