cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth keeping Marriot Rewards card?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Re: Is it worth keeping Marriot Rewards card?

@Peteyglad wrote:

@quarius wrote:

@Peteyglad wrote:

I a in the same boat. Actually, with all the hotel card changes in the past few months I need to reevaluate mine and my wifes card portfolio to make sure we are getting the best bang for our buck. 

The Marriott card for me will probably stay due to the free night and my high credit limit on it. 

I dont plan on cancelling it because i have a nice limit on it, I just plan on switching to a Freedom or something like that. Then maybe down the road get The Marriot card again with the nice 90k points spend bonus.

I don't believe you can product change it to a freedom.

Well that sucks. Now I will definately keep the card until I get more Chase cards. 

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious what type of room a person gets by using the "Free night" or by redeeming points? Is it not quite as good as you would get if paying in cash? For instance the room between the elevator and laundry room. lol

I recall one time years ago (company) tried to rent an undesirable room to  me. This instance is what detered me from ever using "coupons" or "specials" ever again. 

Message 12 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It depends on the actual property and when you are there. I’ve had some obviously upgraded rooms on redemption nights and I’ve also had the standard room that I booked with a less than desirable view. Honestly it’s a gamble, but I’ve never had a bad room per se.
Message 13 of 16
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious what type of room a person gets by using the "Free night" or by redeeming points? Is it not quite as good as you would get if paying in cash? For instance the room between the elevator and laundry room. lol

I recall one time years ago (company) tried to rent an undesirable room to  me. This instance is what detered me from ever using "coupons" or "specials" ever again. 

I have used points and certificate nights many times with Marriott with no issue. Maybe this is also due to the fact that I have Marriott Gold status as well. It is still not quite as nice as Hilton where you can pick your room personally.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 14 of 16
Dave4fun
Regular Contributor

Same for me ..I love my Marriott VS. I have enjoyed the benefits for many years. The free annual rooms are always nice. Occasionally the view is not the best, but the room and servcie are just like normal. I appreciate you all identifying the aspects of the new programs. Special thanks to K in Boston explaining the points and certificates. I recieved emails both from Marriott and SPG and honestly I don't quite understand all of the changes.  And I do have a question....I stay at Marriott and SPG but only use and have the Marriot VS card. I have reservations twice in August for a total of 12 days at SPG properties. I was planning to use my Marriott card. I was not clear on the difference in using my current Marriott VS card or do I need to get the newer version Marriott card in order to benefit from points earning at the SPG property.  ???  

FICO 8 EQ: 841, TU: 842, EX: 842 Total Rev CL: $547,000 - CHASE/CITIBANK/DISCOVER/ USBANK/AMEX/COMENITY AMEX /BMO/NORDSTROM/MACYS/FNBO/ JCPENNY/TARGET/CHEVRON/1ST UNITED CU/PATELCO CU/SYNCHRONY/ VENMO VISA Sig/ DILLARDS AMEX/ PENFED PLAT REWARDS/PENFED PLOC/WELLS FARGO. AAoA 13 years
Message 15 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Dave4fun wrote:

Same for me ..I love my Marriott VS. I have enjoyed the benefits for many years. The free annual rooms are always nice. Occasionally the view is not the best, but the room and servcie are just like normal. I appreciate you all identifying the aspects of the new programs. Special thanks to K in Boston explaining the points and certificates. I recieved emails both from Marriott and SPG and honestly I don't quite understand all of the changes.  And I do have a question....I stay at Marriott and SPG but only use and have the Marriot VS card. I have reservations twice in August for a total of 12 days at SPG properties. I was planning to use my Marriott card. I was not clear on the difference in using my current Marriott VS card or do I need to get the newer version Marriott card in order to benefit from points earning at the SPG property.  ???  

Your 12 days in August will earn the new Marriott points and using it there will also earn you the new Marriott points, as the cardmember agreements are all changing.  Prior to August, using the SPG card is still the best way to rack up points at Marriott properties.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.