Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is possibe to reopen a credit card?

tag
vaupinya1
Established Member

Is possibe to reopen a credit card?

I opened a Sears card in 1997, but closed it out in 2001.  Would it be possible to reopen this account with old credit history, etc.?  Or would this hurt my scores.  Here are my current scores all FICO:

Transunioon 626
Experian 595
Equifax 602
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is possibe to reopen a credit card?

@vaupinya1 wrote:
I opened a Sears card in 1997, but closed it out in 2001. Would it be possible to reopen this account with old credit history, etc.? Or would this hurt my scores. Here are my current scores all FICO:
Transunioon 626
Experian 595
Equifax 602

It doesn't hurt to ask. Every company is different, but the longer the card has been closed, the less likely it will be reopened.

If it is reopened and the original opening date is retained, it will probably help your score.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vaupinya1 wrote:
I opened a Sears card in 1997, but closed it out in 2001. Would it be possible to reopen this account with old credit history, etc.? Or would this hurt my scores. Here are my current scores all FICO:
Transunioon 626
Experian 595
Equifax 602

I think it's far too long to reopen that account, but it doesn't hurt to try. I got my capital one reopen after having closed it 2 months ago.
Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, I recently did that with Bank of America, and they jumped at it within a week.  I kept all the credit history.  I cancelled it two years ago before reading this forum, and realized it was not smart, so simply asked them to reopen it.  No hard inq was made, and it was back.  They want business!
Message 4 of 9
rk2
Established Member

Re:this how you can win your scores back.

yeah the is no harm in trying i closed two of my accounts walmart and bank of america ,but i ask them to reopen it and they did.but you know  some where in june  my scores were terrible t 626 eq630 exp 633 ,but  currently eq.is 723 and experian was Exp728 and tran union is 661. this is how i did it .i  charge my credit card about  15$ within  the start of the month and pay it in full say in the 3rd day ,so even as the month hasn't ended so of my creditors were reporting ealier.my longest credit is only 2yrs . this how i discovered to bump up my scores. you can try it. every month i do it
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re:this how you can win your scores back.

Hi,

Can I do the same with a revolving account?  I opened a Bally fitness account for installment payment and i saw it in the credit report to my surprise.  But i requested the aacount to be closed not knowing that would hurt my score.  I'd like to open that acct back to try rejuvenate my score.

Is that possible? suggested? Please advise.

Sach
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
Can I do the same with a revolving account? I opened a Bally fitness account for installment payment and i saw it in the credit report to my surprise. But i requested the aacount to be closed not knowing that would hurt my score. I'd like to open that acct back to try rejuvenate my score.
Is that possible? suggested? Please advise.
Sach

It doesn't hurt to ask. Every company has different policies. There is really no way to reliably predict what each company will do in each situation.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just reopened a Victoria's Secret credit card that I had closed FIVE years ago!  I am so stoked.  This TL will now show 8 years of history, and also help my util. 

Definitely give it a try.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

vaupinya1 wrote:
I opened a Sears card in 1997, but closed it out in 2001.  Would it be possible to reopen this account with old credit history, etc.?  Or would this hurt my scores.  Here are my current scores all FICO:

Transunioon 626
Experian 595
Equifax 602

I recently reopened a Lane Bryant card that I closed over 3 years ago, so I say GO FOR IT! Heck, the worst they can do is say no.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.