cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that "everything else" card really necessary?

tag
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is that "everything else" card really necessary?

I like the simplification of just having one card and paying one bill. I don't see it as diluting rewards since I can redeem everything into the same account, or at least the equivalent by stockpiling statement credit since my bill may be less or whatever. Recently, though, I decided to stop caring about an extra 1%, so other than occasional use to keep them active, I only really use two cards: Freedom & DC was replaced by Marvel because dining and entertainment are my highest spend categories anyway. Freedom doubles as my everything else card as well. The rest I keep for diversification reasons.
♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 11 of 57
core
Valued Contributor

Yes, the 'everything else' card is really necessary.  Because all the "interesting" spending opportunities usually fall into the everything else category.  For example I can't tell you how many times I've opened a bank or credit union account (because I really wanted the account, not for nefarious purposes) only to find our during the process that they accept credit cards for your opening deposit... sometimes a sizeable amount.  They never take Amex though, so while you never want to leave home without it, it doesn't do you much good at home, it seems.

Lots of other non-online opportunities present themselves too.  This is the only reaon I keep my Citi DC and QS1 limits higher than I usually would.

Message 12 of 57
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I think it depends on how many categories you're running and how long it takes you to redeem. If you have a million cards each representing a different category, earning an extra .5% on three small purchases a month is pretty negligible. But if you're somewhere in the middle where you have a good chunk of non category spend, then the extra amounts can add up.

With me, I find I have quite a few non category charges. And generally I just use my CSP for those because a UR point is just as good, if nother better, than 1.5%. But I have my QS set aside for online bills and recurring expenses because it keeps me organized and I like minimizing the number of cards I use online.

I dunno, redeem my rewards about once a year and never have an issue with redemption thresholds.
Message 13 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always feel like these pseudo-philosophical musings -- when taken down the same slippery slope that forms the basis of the threads I've seen that are similar to this -- really all end up with the same conclusion. Why have a Double Cash when you already have a Quicksilver -- it's only a .5% difference!!! .5% difference in a month is only a small amount, a few dollars really!! So why bother?? But then, why bother having a Quicksilver when you have a Freedom that earns 1% on non-category spending -- only a .5% difference!? The difference is only a small amount, a few dollars really!!  Is it necessary?!

Well, of course it's not "necessary". Virtually no one earns rewards in such a substantial fashion (assuming they are earning their rewards in an artless way) that it has a vastly meaningful difference in their lives, particularly when we're talking about a few percentage points in rewards for each swipe. When people get a Double Cash over a Quicksilver they have been using, their mindset isn't, "Oh, my gosh. The extra .5% cashback on my purchases will help me afford my water bill this month that I never would have been able to afford before with my Quicksilver's 1.5%!"  It's not a matter of necessity, of course, but this is not only obvious, it's also a bit of a straw man argument to depict anyone's position as such. These people are simply looking for a long-term, better value card, and that's fine.

Message 14 of 57
redpat
Senior Contributor

I'm finding the best benefits are coming from my Amex plat and citi prestige. These benefits would require a large amount of spend anyway. The AFs are tiny compared to the perks and the spend needed for some of the benefits.

All personal is MR and business is UR. My business spend is high and all my monthly personal bills and spend is put on EDP when ever possible income is well above average.

The highest rewards come from travel redemptions and if you want strictly cash back then you have to settle for less.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 15 of 57
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I always feel like these pseudo-philosophical musings -- when taken down the same slippery slope that forms the basis of the threads I've seen that are similar to this -- really all end up with the same conclusion. Why have a Double Cash when you already have a Quicksilver -- it's only a .5% difference!!! .5% difference in a month is only a small amount, a few dollars really!! So why bother?? But then, why bother having a Quicksilver when you have a Freedom that earns 1% on non-category spending -- only a .5% difference!? The difference is only a small amount, a few dollars really!!  Is it necessary?!

Well, of course it's not "necessary". Virtually no one earns rewards in such a substantial fashion (assuming they are earning their rewards in an artless way) that it has a vastly meaningful difference in their lives, particularly when we're talking about a few percentage points in rewards for each swipe. When people get a Double Cash over a Quicksilver they have been using, their mindset isn't, "Oh, my gosh. The extra .5% cashback on my purchases will help me afford my water bill this month that I never would have been able to afford before with my Quicksilver's 1.5%!"  It's not a matter of necessity, of course, but this is not only obvious, it's also a bit of a straw man argument to depict anyone's position as such. These people are simply looking for a long-term, better value card, and that's fine.

Perhaps "necessary" conveys the wrong tone but I mean it with the implication of "worthwhile" more than anything. Of course, no cash back or rewards are a necessity to live one's life. My point here is that are the gains from having a "generic" card, amongst a handul or more of category cards, really useful enough to justify a separate account and the HP/AAOA ding? That's the discussion, not so much whether these things are vital/necessary to life, which of course they are not.

Message 16 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of my uncategorized spending:

TV/landline/internet bill

Cell phone bills

Water bill

Gas/electricity bill

Trash bill

AAA Auto Club

Car insurance

Yes.

That 2% adds up.

Message 17 of 57
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Just another musing of mine similar to my "spreading too thin" thread in the past. Most of us have several cards for various categories, be it groceries, gas, dining, whatever. Most also have a generic 1.5% or 2% card for "everything else".

But outside very large spenders, is that "everything else" card really necessary?

I sort of look at it in the opposite way... DC and Discover (while it's in the double cash back promo) *are* my everything cards.  "Everything else" is made up of the category cards for me (Discover sort of fits the bill for both everything and everything else right now, actually, but it will be an everything else card after the first year is up).  While the category cards reflect things that I do spend a good amount on, the extra benefits are icing on the DC/Discover cake.

edit:  I realize my wording is kind of odd by categorizing my spend as 'everything' and 'everything else,' but I think it gets the point across

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 18 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps "necessary" conveys the wrong tone but I mean it with the implication of "worthwhile" more than anything. Of course, no cash back or rewards are a necessity to live one's life. My point here is that are the gains from having a "generic" card, amongst a handul or more of category cards, really useful enough to justify a separate account and the HP/AAOA ding? That's the discussion, not so much whether these things are vital/necessary to life, which of course they are not.

Ah, but see, that's a very different question and one that is much more subjective. Is couponing worthwhile? Is discount-hunting worthwhile? Is getting that small amount of extra cashback worthwhile?

It's a complicated equation for each person that involves many variables -- one's value of time, savings, expended effort, and enjoyment gained from doing it are the main ones. It seems to not be worthwhile to you -- that's ok. It is to me and a lot of other people as well. We can agree to disagree.

Message 19 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

my monthly spend is so low, compared to some here, that I could have just one card and use it for everything, and probably reap better reward on that one card, than trying to put a spend here, and a spend there.

But...we all know, most people here have in excess of CC for util/cushioning. Im not against that at all, LOL..(don't need it, but don't condone it either) Smiley Wink

But back to the "everything else".....I have several of those cards, and you're right, its redundant. Some of those will be going away next year as I set my sights on long term, and quality of cards, vs quantity.
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.