cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Affinity rewards card going to get worse in the near future?

tag
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

Is the Affinity rewards card going to get worse in the near future?

I have a question about the Affinity FCU Cash Rewards Visa.

1. I have heard that this card has rotating categories in addition to those described on the page linked above. (I can't find that documented on the site but it seems to be common knowledge.)
  2. I have also heard that this card may be "nerfed" in the near future (or may have been nerfed recently). I don't know what kind of "nerf" that would be.
  3. Is either of the above two things correct?
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Is the Affinity rewards card going to get worse in the near future?

@TyrannicalDuncery wrote:

I have a question about the Affinity FCU Cash Rewards Visa.

1. I have heard that this card has rotating categories in addition to those described on the page linked above. (I can't find that documented on the site but it seems to be common knowledge.)
  2. I have also heard that this card may be "nerfed" in the near future (or may have been nerfed recently). I don't know what kind of "nerf" that would be.
  3. Is either of the above two things correct?

Certainly no news about the card being nerf'd but those rotating categories do change at the start of each quarter.  They have been rather generous of late...perhaps a scale back on their generosity...but I am skeptical that the card is going away..

Message 2 of 113
DakotaM
Regular Contributor

I just got it, so I sure hope it isn't going away anytime soon! I think the 'nerf' was just supposition because of how generous those categories can be. 

Workers-Credit-UnionWorkers-Credit-Union

Message 3 of 113
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

I have the AFCU cashRewards since Dec 2021. So far I haven't heard any news about it disappearing or lowering the rewards.

IMO when I go and look at third party site by state (credituniononline.com) under New Jersey where AFCU is HQ at, it says their assets is over $3B so I doubt this card would be going away. Now to a card like AOD with 3% ... AOD seems small with only 7 locations and only $425Mil so they probably would be struggling to keep a valued card like that when there is a loop-hole going on (supposed to be geo-fence).

But let's not forget about AFCU ... one of their membership options to join is thru donation to where everyone can join (just like DCU).

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 4 of 113
Flfico
Regular Contributor

Categories are mentioned on their homepage currently. Screenshot_20220909-163057_Chrome.jpg

Message 5 of 113
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Every time I see that picture I wonder two things.  What the heck is she looking at?  And, where is the gas pump??

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 113
calisig
Regular Contributor

@TyrannicalDuncery  - the reason you are not seeing the rotating categories is becasue you are looking on the wrong page. Although one might assume the rotating categories would be displayed on the 'Cash Rewards' card page you referenced, the rotating categories are listed on the previous page / credit cards page (https://www.affinityfcu.com/Credit-Cards/index.aspx) - since the rotating categories apply to BOTH their 'Cash Rewards'  AND  'Pure Rewards' cards.

I haven't heard anything about Affinity nerfing their rewards program

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 7 of 113
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

I haven't heard of anything that would even remotely be considered a rumor, so there is no cause to believe nerfs are coming. Yes, the card is OP as heck, but AFCU appear to be well-managed and can reign back memberships if they needed to. The only tiniest hint of faltering was the slightly delayed awarding of their Q2 bonus points, and they are a bit late when it comes to announcing their next quarter. But I'll take that any day considering that they continue to allow multiplier stacking and keep covering useful categories (7x on gas for multiple quarters in a row, yes please).

Message 8 of 113
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Every time I see that picture I wonder two things.  What the heck is she looking at?  And, where is the gas pump??

@ptatohedJust checking how high gas prices are going. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 113
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@ptatohedJust checking how high gas prices are going. Smiley Happy

Bravo, bravo.  Good one FM1!

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 10 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.