cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Affinity rewards card going to get worse in the near future?

tag
Hansolojr
Contributor

Re: Affinity FCU - There are no more categories my friends. Email from them:

Great post...had been refreshing the page to get updated categories for a few days.  That 7% cashback was too good to last.

Message 21 of 113
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sad news...but appreciate the update.

Message 22 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reply from Affinity:

An email is coming this week.
The 5%, 2% and 1% will still be in effect.
Message 23 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

One can assume under 2k spend per quarter, just the standard 5/2/1.

The math though is a bit odd - +1.5% from 2-5k, +1.3% from 5k-7.5k, but 1.53% above 7.5k?

We probably spend about 4k per month, which would still be 2.3% on "general spend" so that's not bad at all.

Still not as good as our reliable 3% AOD, but they call it a unicorn for a reason.

Message 24 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm thinking about this even more.  It's only 1.5, 1.3, 1.53 at those exact thresholds, which frankly stinks.

If it's a 11500 pt bonus ($115) at 7500, but I spend 15k, then I'd only get 1/2 of that amount.

Moreover, if I spend $4,500 but not $5,000 I'd only get 3000 pts, or $30.00 back on $4.5k spend.  That's a paltry .075x bonus instead of the old way of getting the additional 5%.

This would definitely be a card to possibly plan ahead for Amazon & grocery spending, and make sure you stop when you hit the 2k, or be darn sure you hit exactly 5k.

I'm not a fan of this in case anyone cares.  Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 113
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

Well, that's depressing. That's probably my favorite card.

Message 26 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Duriel wrote:

Well, that's depressing. That's probably my favorite card.

It's right up there for me too.  The mental gymnastics on the math coupled with I already have a Chase Amazon 5% card & AOD might mean this gets sock drawered the first quarter 2023.

Message 27 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still holding on to the very slim chance these are "stackable" bonuses.

"In addition to the standard points, cardholders will earn 3,000 points when spending $2,000; 6,500 points when spending $5,000; 11,500 points when spending $7,500 during the promotional period of January 1, 2023 through March 31, 2023"

It would be awesome if that meant you get 3,000 pts @ $2000, then a 6,500 bonus @ $5000, and another 11,500 @ $7500.

That would mean:

$30.00 @ $2000 spend (+1.5%)

$95.00 @ $5000 spend (+1.9%)

$210.00 @ $7500 spend (+2.8%)

That would be way better.  Fingers crossed!

Message 28 of 113
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Following

Message 29 of 113
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My question via secure email:

"Good afternoon - just curious if the first quarter 2023 bonus categories for credit cards has been decided yet.
Thanks!"

Their reply:

"For next quarter the bonus points are earned based on how much is spent with your card, there are no longer any spending categories. Bonus points are earned as follows: Affinity Cash Rewards Visa Signature: In addition to the standard points, cardholders will earn 3,000 points when spending $2,000; 6,500 points when spending $5,000; 11,500 points when spending $7,500 during the promotional period of January 1, 2023 through March 31, 2023. To qualify and receive the additional bonus points, the required spend amount in purchases must be met."

My reply:

"

Is this on top of the 5% at Bookstores and 2% at Supermarkets, Restaurants, Gas Stations? In addition to the 1% spent on general spend?
Is there still a $3500 per cap per month at Amazon?

Or are you saying the 5% / 2% / 1% are just now completely gone?

Thank you"

Will post the reply as soon as it arrives.

It sounds to me like it is no longer the card it was. For a spender like me, it's a 1% cash back card... i.e. a piece of junk.  Maybe I spoke too fast?  Or did I?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 30 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.