Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Amex Platinum Worth It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the Amex Platinum Worth It?

Considering most sub on platinum seen is 100k, I would not pull trigger for 60k sub offer. Lol

You really have to do the math and see if it makes sense. Platinum is not for everyone.
Message 11 of 29
355F1
Contributor

Ugh....

Super jelly.

All I get is the opportunity to upgrade my Gold without any bonus.
Message 12 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I currently have the Amex Gold and I really like it. The rewards have been worth much more than the $250 annual fee. Amex sent me an email about a 25k point offer to get the platinum. Is it worth it? The $300 extra seems like a lot.

Edit:
The offer was for an upgrade

If you really like the Gold card I think you should just stay with it.

I have a Gold card and don't really like it. I used to have a business platinum card, and didn't really like that either.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 13 of 29
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Platinum is a travel card, pure and simple. Gold is a daily driver. Look at the rewards structures to see that. If you fly a lot and value lounge access, Plat can be a great card. If not, Gold is likely a better fit. There is some crossover but in a nutshell that's the distinction.

Agree with this completely.  I have the Platinum and can say it's 110% solely for the perks of travel ie: Lounges w/ Amex, lounges with Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club, 5x points for Delta and so on.  I would not possess this personally myself if part of my life wasn't spent on moving walkways and tunnels in the sky. If you travel, totally worth it.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks. That makes sense. I’ll probably pass unless they offer me something closer to 60k points.

I don't have either card, but if you would go for Platinum for 60K SUB, you could call them and say you'd upgrade for 60K. They could say they can check on it. The worst they can say is no.

Message 15 of 29
MediumReputation
Established Member

Based on your questions and comments about spend, it doesn't seem like the card for you.

I travel enough per year that lounge access, airline incidentals, uber credits, etc. offset the annual fee for me.  In your situation, it sounds like you will get far more value from the Gold card (this is my daily driver, all spend goes on it for me).

Message 16 of 29
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Gold is the best as I do for 50k a year In grocery in work alone and I am a AU on 2 family members so I get the 4X Grocery For 50k
I think the platinum is good For a heavy traveler correct me if I’m wrong anybody?
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing to correct, you’re right.
Message 18 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jccflat wrote:
Gold is the best as I do for 50k a year In grocery in work alone and I am a AU on 2 family members so I get the 4X Grocery For 50k
I think the platinum is good For a heavy traveler correct me if I’m wrong anybody?

I would just change 'traveler' to 'one who flies often', since that's where the Platinum shines (airport lounges and 5x MRs for airfare).

For someone who travels but seldom flies (like myself) the Platinum is not a good match, since there's no overall 'travel' multiplier to cover hotels, car rentals, etc.  (Note that the Platinum does provide 5x on prepaid hotels via Amex Travel, but I've personally never known anyone who booked this way.)

Message 19 of 29
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:
platinum is good For a heavy traveler

I would just change 'traveler' to 'one who flies often', since that's where the Platinum shines (airport lounges and 5x MRs for airfare).

For someone who travels but seldom flies (like myself) the Platinum is not a good match

^ +1

Which is exactly why the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a better fit for the general-purpose traveler like myself who spends as much or more on hotels, rental cars, tolls, and other travel-related expenses than he does on airfare.  Platinum is great for the frequent business flyer.  Gold is good for dining/daily driver.  CSR with 3 pts (4.5 UR) on dining plus 3 pts (4.5 UR) on a wide range of travel covers both niches well.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.