Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Amex Platinum Worth It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Amex Platinum Worth It?

I currently have the Amex Gold and I really like it. The rewards have been worth much more than the $250 annual fee. Amex sent me an email about a 25k point offer to get the platinum. Is it worth it? The $300 extra seems like a lot.

Edit:
The offer was for an upgrade
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is the Amex Platinum Worth It?

If you've had your Gold for over 1 year, I would call to see if they have a retention offer for you to keep the card. Amex's website is showing a bonus of 60k MR points now for a new Platinum. I would not do an upgrade for just 25K.

For me, the Platinum would be worth it but I wouldnt keep both the Gold and Platinum at the same time. 

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I meant that the offer was for an upgrade. I definitely wouldn’t keep both. I agree that the 25k isn’t worth the entire amount, but do you notice the extra benefits? Are they worth $300?
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express Platinum may or may not be worth it for any one individual.  

Unlike competing Chase products, Amex Gold and Amex Platinum are “different” products. Platinum is not a superset of Gold... it is... different.

Under the old gift card rules and with old fee of $450 it was not so hard to justify.

The current fee of $550 seems like a lot because... it is a lot.

Add up the benefits and see whether you are likely to get more than that value.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like they are advertising the platinum as a “better gold.” How different are they?
Message 5 of 29
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

My goals is the CSR Smiley Very Happy. Can’t wait until I’m worthy and the force is with me to apply. 😂
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It seems like they are advertising the platinum as a “better gold.” How different are they?

Anyone feel free to correct me but my understanding is that the Chase Sapphire Reserve is a strict superset of the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Any value that Preferred provides, Reserve provides that benefit or more.

That is NOT the relationship between the Amex Gold and Amex Platinum.  

Amex Platinum has a lower MR point earning rate than Amex Gold except for airfare. 

Platinum does offer airline lounge access.

Gold and Platinum are in the same product family but are distinct products.

Message 7 of 29
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Don't take that.  I just received an offer to upgrade for 60,000pts. I'm mulling it over...

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Platinum is a travel card, pure and simple. Gold is a daily driver. Look at the rewards structures to see that. If you fly a lot and value lounge access, Plat can be a great card. If not, Gold is likely a better fit. There is some crossover but in a nutshell that's the distinction.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. That makes sense. I’ll probably pass unless they offer me something closer to 60k points.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.