Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Barclays Dragon Sated?

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Is the Barclays Dragon Sated?

Hello fellow denizens of the myFICO universe. I got a letter several weeks back that due to inactivity, my Barclays Ring MC was at risk of closure until I showed usage. I put a single charge of ~$75 and paid the minimum payments twice and paid off the remainder today (counting as the minimum for a September due date). 

It's true that I do have a limit of $10K TL just sort of sitting there but it isn't the most valuable card I have in terms of benefits. Originally, I obtained it because I wanted a low BT/low APR card in case of emergencies. The APR has gone up and up since i obtained it at under 8% APR.

Do you think that the spend I've put on it (and minor interest charges) is enough or should I put more spend on it?

If you think I should put more spend, how should I go about doing it (one large charge paid over time or several minor charges paid over time)?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Is the Barclays Dragon Sated?

I have Arrival as a PIN card but haven't really needed it.

TTM spend: $5

CL: $20k

No CLD here yet.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

You put activity, and that is all they are looking for.

I would try to use your cards at least every 6 months.

I do either the $9.99-$12.12 in gas, Amazon gift card reload or $10 on the Starbucks APP.

Possible drive through fast food order.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

You put activity, and that is all they are looking for.

I would try to use your cards at least every 6 months.

I do either the $9.99-$12.12 in gas, Amazon gift card reload or $10 on the Starbucks APP.

Possible drive through fast food order.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

I agree with this. You put spend on it.

I'd suggest every 3 months. There was a clause on Uber when I had it... We reserve the right of account closure when inactivity of 3 months occurs.

Message 4 of 22
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Sound advise @M_Smart007 and @blindambition . I'll put infrequent spend on it. TBH, I kind of forget its there sometimes. I remember wanting it back when I had only 2 cards simply because it was a lower APR and a little bit more of a challenge to be approved for. They have been good to me so I don't want to lose it. However, they send an obnoxious and frankly dangerous amount of blank checks in the mail. Smiley Frustrated

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 5 of 22
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Just consider yourself lucky! Barclays warns you. Most lenders don't, and only alert is notification that something changed on report. 😊 

Message 6 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

Just consider yourself lucky! Barclays warns you. Most lenders don't, and only alert is notification that something changed on report. 😊 

Or the famous >> go to use the card and "Declined" .. call in to find out it is closed.

Message 7 of 22
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Do you think that the spend I've put on it (and minor interest charges) is enough or should I put more spend on it?

If you think I should put more spend, how should I go about doing it (one large charge paid over time or several minor charges paid over time)?

I don't think there is any need to pay over time, just pay the statement in full, or even before the statement cuts, I don't think it makes any difference for this purpose.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 22
tinglywoowoo
New Contributor

Thank you for providing exactly the info I was seeking. I paid off a balance transfer on my Barclay Cash Forward last summer and used it for a few incidentals in the UK last fall. Got the “use it or lose it” letter yesterday and used it for groceries today. Sounds like I should bring it out for the one off donations. Don’t want to lose this one. Thanks for the info.
The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts: the less you know the hotter you get.
--Bertrand Russell
Message 9 of 22
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

I personally have found that vending machine and gas station swipes seem to keep everyone happy. Another strategy I use is my monthly abusing of the self checkout lanes. I will pay for each item I have with a different card. These methods make it a lot easier on you to get it done quickly and remember you have done it. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.