Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the CSP still worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the CSP still worth it?

I'm not sure I would get approved for the CSR plus I do not travel that much and spend that much in general to warrant. Thinking the CSP still as I want a new travel card and to get rid of my Arrival+ once I use the bonus. Was thinking CSP and pairing it with the Freedom/Freedom UL
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the CSP still worth it?

Worth it if they will approve both same time and you've not had the bonus in the last 24-26mo.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You want a travel card but the best one (which ends up netting a $150 AF due to easy $300 travel credit redemption) is not worth it due to lack of travel, but you think a $95 AF card with far fewer perks is?

In my opinion if you fly even once per year, there is no reason to choose the preferred over the reserve. The only reason I would say get CSP is if you don't have the credit profile to pick up CSR yet.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not a bad point actually lol.

Maybe I will hold off a bit on both and just boost my profile up a bit before applying for the CSR.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The nice thing about the C$R is that the travel credit is by statement calendar year.

This means you could cash in on two Travel credits by applying now effectively having them pay you the AF. Pair it with a CSP and you've got 150K UR (In branch) aside from that which you get from spending the 8K required in 90 days.
Message 5 of 17
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The nice thing about the C$R is that the travel credit is by statement calendar year.

This means you could cash in on two Travel credits by applying now effectively having them pay you the AF. Pair it with a CSP and you've got 150K UR (In branch) aside from that which you get from spending the 8K required in 90 days.

The statement calendar year means that it ends with your December statement. Mine cut the 5th, so on December 6th my travel credit reseted to $0 for 2017 credit. If your statement cut on the 25th, then yours will reset to $0 on December 26th.

Other companies reset on a regular calendar year, so every January 1st they will reset their perk.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, your Freedoms UR points will be worth 1.5x instead of 1.2 if you transer the points and use the Chase portal to buy the tickets. The Points Guy has an article about the break even point between the two with a link to a spreadsheet to use your own valuation and spend.

The Reserve's bonus is still 100,000 until mid March.

To me, the Preferred is a good card but the Reserve makes it useless, except for the signup bonus.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am unsure if I would get approved for the CSR which is why I was entertaining the CSP. I think I'm just going to wait and bit and build my credit then apply for the reserve.
Message 8 of 17
degs138
Established Contributor

I'm still bummed the CSR came out 8 months after I got the CSP.  I want the CSR as I will easily use the 300 every year and the 50% bonus on miles is huge.  Since the card ends up being 150 dollars and all of the lounges it has avaliable, its worth it.  I have been flying almost exclusivly delta lately so I may opt for an AMEX instead but I'll have to run the numbers and see where I save the most money.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Degs me too, i got CSP on a pre-approval 4/16, and 4 months later they release the Reserve... When i have no hope of being under 5/24 again until August 2018
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.