cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

tag
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Hello credit gurus!

We are debating whether or not to pick up the Capital One Venture card. Seems like it's mostly a 2% CB card after the SUB. Some travel benefits but we do have some with the cards on my signature. No FTF is great! But the rest seems kind of "meh". The previous 100k bonus seems like a missed opportunity for us, 60k isn't bad though. I wonder if they are going to bring that back at some point?

I really appreciate any thoughts on whether it's worth the hassle! As @Steveo777 would say, "Give it to me straight up, no chaser Smiley Wink"

16 REPLIES 16
AmericanSkin
Established Member

Re: Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

With the AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Preferred, and NFCU Flagship already in your rotation, the Venture card really doesn't offer anything of value to your portfolio.  Each of the above cards easily matches or beats the Venture with a similar or lower AF (except the Platinum, of course, but that's an entirely different category of travel card).

Message 2 of 17
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@AmericanSkin I think you're very right! I really appreciate that.

Admittedly, the metal cards tend to pull us in. Yes, it's dumb, yes we know Smiley Happy.

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

Hello credit gurus!

We are debating whether or not to pick up the Capital One Venture card. Seems like it's mostly a 2% CB card after the SUB. Some travel benefits but we do have some with the cards on my signature. No FTF is great! But the rest seems kind of "meh". The previous 100k bonus seems like a missed opportunity for us, 60k isn't bad though. I wonder if they are going to bring that back at some point?

I really appreciate any thoughts on whether it's worth the hassle! As @Steveo777 would say, "Give it to me straight up, no chaser Smiley Wink"

Unless you use the newish transfer feature, the Venture really doesn't make sense past the first year.   In an era where free 2% everywhere cards are common, it seemed very strange that people were paying an AF (originally $59 now more) for a card with apparently restricted redemption (2% redemption only for travel, but there are ways around that) when free cards with unrestricted redemption are easily available.    Then they added the transfer feature, which if you can use it, may make it valuable.   But if not, stay away maybe apart from the SUB.  There are still some 2% with no FTF, although sadly Paypal had added one

Message 4 of 17
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker That is a great point! The PenFed PCR is a great card for 2% with no AF.

I will say, the transfer option is a good point! Thanks for bringing that up, adds a bit of thought process to it vs being adamantly no. 

Message 5 of 17
NoHardLimits
Frequent Contributor

I got in on the 100k signup bonus offer last year.  When my account ages past one year, I plan to close it.  Sadly, SavorOne does not appear as a downgrade option for me and I already have a Quicksilver.   I also have a Citi Double Cash which gives me 2% cash back with no annual fee.

March 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 11 mos | New Accounts: 0/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 2% | DTI: 1%
Message 6 of 17
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@NoHardLimits That was a good call on your part! 100k is a good value. Congrats! I think it was only 20k in spending? I don't remember. 

I have thought about Savor as well. As I understand, the SavorOne is a bit better with no AF and 3% back. The Savor gets 4% on dining and entertainment and an extra $100 of the SUB. Ok so year one is good. But after year two, you start to doubt. I guess I could do the Savor and then downgrade after 1 year. Is that possible?

That's a great Citi card! I saw that Citi took away the Prestige and amped up the Premier. But I don't think the rewards are as good as Chase and Amex. I could be wrong! Amex has been good to me Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
wingennis
Valued Contributor

I closed my Venture when I realized I was paying an annual fee to rent my credit line on this 2% card (I have 3 2% cards).  There were no point transfers then, though.  If you get the global entry credit with one of your other cards it doesn't seem to have any charms that any other 2% doesn't have for no annual fee.

Message 8 of 17
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@wingennis Thanks for the history! 

Do you think the points transfer would've kept you in? They do have give decent limits on the card, which is nice. But I can get that elsewhere. 

We do get Global Entry elsewhere. The DW and I have been signed up for a while. Everyone should just get Global Entry since it includes TSA Precheck for only $15 more. A great value if you travel internationally even once a year. Of course the Global Entry is good for 5 years, so the credit comes along rarely. NFCU Flagship gives that AND Amazon Prime, which is awesome. 

Message 9 of 17
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

@wingennis Thanks for the history! 

Do you think the points transfer would've kept you in? They do have give decent limits on the card, which is nice. But I can get that elsewhere. 

We do get Global Entry elsewhere. The DW and I have been signed up for a while. Everyone should just get Global Entry since it includes TSA Precheck for only $15 more. A great value if you travel internationally even once a year. Of course the Global Entry is good for 5 years, so the credit comes along rarely. NFCU Flagship gives that AND Amazon Prime, which is awesome. 

The points transfer most likely would not have kept me interested.  Venture has a distinct lack of domestic transfer partners.  I realize that transferring to British Airways would allow me to buy award flights on American-as an example-but that is too tedious for me.  I mostly fly Delta/Virgin Atlantic and my MRs transfer right to them with frequent transfer bonuses.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.