cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Ritz Carlton really a Chase card?

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Is the Ritz Carlton really a Chase card?

I've been considering applying for the Ritz Carlton Rewards card due to the fact that I occasionally have the opportunity to stay at their properties. And the benefits seem pretty useful despite the fact that I already have the CSR card.

But I'm confused: Is the RC really a Chase card, or a JP Morgan card? Or does that make any difference? Does Chase simply consider this another of their co-branded cards?

The RC card reportedly is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 Rule. The RC card gives you access to the JP Morgan concierge service rather than just Chase Customer Service reps. And so forth...

But is the RC card still subject to Chase's 2/30 Rule (can only apply for two Chase cards within 30 days)? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the Ritz Carlton really a Chase card?

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

I've been considering applying for the Ritz Carlton Rewards card due to the fact that I occasionally have the opportunity to stay at their properties. And the benefits seem pretty useful despite the fact that I already have the CSR card.

But I'm confused: Is the RC really a Chase card, or a JP Morgan card? Or does that make any difference? Does Chase simply consider this another of their co-branded cards?

The RC card reportedly is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 Rule. The RC card gives you access to the JP Morgan concierge service rather than just Chase Customer Service reps. And so forth...

But is the RC card still subject to Chase's 2/30 Rule (can only apply for two Chase cards within 30 days)? 

It's a JP Morgan card and it does make a difference.  Much better customer service and as you noted, access to a top of line concierge.  When I first applied for this back when it was the hottest card here (December/2014) because of a 140K offer, my credit scores were far worse than they are now and I had been barely let back in with Chase after being blacklisted from a 1993 charge off of a  WAMU account thay my ex wife opened without my knowledge.  By that point I had been approved for a $4500 Freedom after initially being denied and then a recently opened CSP for $5K of  which $4K was taken from my Freedom, again after initially being denied.  I was pretty sure Chase wasn't going to approve me fro a new $10K card and I was right.  Denied.  Tried reconning 3 different times and all were denied and the old charge off was the single point that they all emphasized.  Finally asked the last CSR if there was anyone else that I could talk to and she said 'well you could talk to the JP Morgan credit analyst but it wont make any difference.  Boy was she wrong.  Talked to the JPM rep and he never once brought up the chargeoff and in 2 minutes approved me for the card with a $10K limit.  Outstanding service and that's been maintained up to now and one of the reasons why I keep the card.

It isn't subject to 5/24 but still falls under the 2/30 guidelines.

Message 2 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a JP Morgan card and it does make a difference.  Much better customer service and as you noted, access to a top of line concierge.  When I first applied for this back when it was the hottest card here (December/2014) because of a 140K offer, my credit scores were far worse than they are now and I had been barely let back in with Chase after being blacklisted from a 1993 charge off of a  WAMU account thay my ex wife opened without my knowledge.  By that point I had been approved for a $4500 Freedom after initially being denied and then a recently opened CSP for $5K of  which $4K was taken from my Freedom, again after initially being denied.  I was pretty sure Chase wasn't going to approve me fro a new $10K card and I was right.  Denied.  Tried reconning 3 different times and all were denied and the old charge off was the single point that they all emphasized.  Finally asked the last CSR if there was anyone else that I could talk to and she said 'well you could talk to the JP Morgan credit analyst but it wont make any difference.  Boy was she wrong.  Talked to the JPM rep and he never once brought up the chargeoff and in 2 minutes approved me for the card with a $10K limit.  Outstanding service and that's been maintained up to now and one of the reasons why I keep the card.

I didnt realize that they had a separate JPM analyst and it the Ritz is not subject to 5/24.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt realize that they had a separate JPM analyst and it the Ritz is not subject to 5/24.

Yup they do.  Now if you call the normal recon line you will get regular Chase CSRs so at least in my case 3 years ago I had to ask to speak to the JPM analyst after the  regular Chase CSR mentioned one.  Definitely not subject to 5/24

Message 4 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Don't you still apply, manage, and pay the account through Chase?

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Don't you still apply, manage, and pay the account through Chase?

Yes

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup they do.  Now if you call the normal recon line you will get regular Chase CSRs so at least in my case 3 years ago I had to ask to speak to the JPM analyst after the  regular Chase CSR mentioned one.  Definitely not subject to 5/24

The Chase representatives just send you along to JPM reps when you call now. They're a little hard to get in touch with during application review, but are generally really nice and helpful.

Having the path to SPG/M/RC platinum status is welcome, and the card features are really great. Best of all, the JPM concierge is slightly better than the concierge service through Amex Platinum, especially for hotel booking. They do a nice job of keeping a running list of preferences/requirements, and take all the time necessary to meet them. They found me a top floor room in Montreal with free parking when Amex and I couldn't.

Being outside of 5/24 is icing on the cake, since I didn't have to burn a slot on my wife's report to get it.

Message 7 of 17
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Does anyone know how the JPM concierge service compares to the VISA Infiinite concierge that you get with the CSR card?

Message 8 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Does anyone know how the JPM concierge service compares to the VISA Infiinite concierge that you get with the CSR card?

I've heard generally negative reviews of the Visa Infinite concierge.

My one experience with the Visa Signature concierge has been that their scope of duties is too narrow for them to be of much use.

It does seem odd to me that even JPM Reserve comes with the Visa Infinite concierge.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

I haven't worked with the CSR concierge yet, but I need to handle a booking tomorrow anyway. I'll call both and compare results and report back.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.