Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the SPG Luxury worth the wait?

tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Is the SPG Luxury worth the wait?

So much talk about it and with the devaluation + the $450 fee, I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the worth of this card. I have an Amex Plat and I wouldn't mind adding the Luxury to my portfolio for the SUB, but has any calculated what the worth of the rumored 125k SUB would be?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Is the SPG Luxury worth the wait?

No!

Sub is going to be 100k for 5k spend.  Plat gives you gold really no reason to get the card, IMO.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@redpat where have you seen a confirmed SUB for SPG Luxury?  I haven't seen that anywhere.  $5k for 100k is the SUB on the Business SPG at the moment, though.

The $450 fee is completely offset by the $300 credit and free anniversary certificate up to 50,00 points.  A couple nights a year at any Starriott-Carlton property makes this an easy sell.  There's also Global Entry, Priority Pass and Gold Elite status for those who don't have those by other means.  For me, the primary reason to get it is the $75k spend for Platinum Elite status, and YTD spending for those that upgrade from SPG to SPG Luxury does carry over.

As for the worth of the SUB, just using TPG values, 75k would be $675, 100k would be $900 and 125k would be $1,125.  From my own actual redemptions since having the SPG card, those values would be $1875 to $3125.  Spent well, it's not that difficult to get those values.  And actually through the end of 2018, it may be even easier since all hotels reclassified as Category 8 will be available for standard Cat7 points for the remainder of 2018 - that will be a steal for properties like Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis.

Message 3 of 21
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

This is what you get for $450, and I would say the Annual Award Night and $300 Marriott credit make it worth it if you regularly stay at Starriotts

• Gold Status, 15 Nt credit, 6x points per Marriott spend, 3x dining/air (Are you a regular SPG/Marriott patron?  Does status matter much?)
  • You basically get 2 free nights (50k points + $300 Marriott spend).
  • Global entry can be obtained on any premium card.
  • Priority Pass? eh

For the same money you can get the Sapphire Reserve with no status but UR points are more versatile & valueable and can also be used at Marriott.

Message 4 of 21
redpat
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@redpat where have you seen a confirmed SUB for SPG Luxury?  I haven't seen that anywhere.  $5k for 100k is the SUB on the Business SPG at the moment, though.

The $450 fee is completely offset by the $300 credit and free anniversary certificate up to 50,00 points.  A couple nights a year at any Starriott-Carlton property makes this an easy sell.  There's also Global Entry, Priority Pass and Gold Elite status for those who don't have those by other means.  For me, the primary reason to get it is the $75k spend for Platinum Elite status, and YTD spending for those that upgrade from SPG to SPG Luxury does carry over.

As for the worth of the SUB, just using TPG values, 75k would be $675, 100k would be $900 and 125k would be $1,125.  From my own actual redemptions since having the SPG card, those values would be $1875 to $3125.  Spent well, it's not that difficult to get those values.  And actually through the end of 2018, it may be even easier since all hotels reclassified as Category 8 will be available for standard Cat7 points for the remainder of 2018 - that will be a steal for properties like Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis.

Sorry about that I, thought I read that but that was the biz one.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 21
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@fittiger wrote:

This is what you get for $450, and I would say the Annual Award Night and $300 Marriott credit make it worth it if you regularly stay at Starriotts

• Gold Status, 15 Nt credit, 6x points per Marriott spend, 3x dining/air (Are you a regular SPG/Marriott patron?  Does status matter much?)
  • You basically get 2 free nights (50k points + $300 Marriott spend).
  • Global entry can be obtained on any premium card.
  • Priority Pass? eh

For the same money you can get the Sapphire Reserve with no status but UR points are more versatile & valueable and can also be used at Marriott.

When "Marriott" is being referenced, does this also mean SPG hotels now that it's all combined?

Message 6 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

SPG and Marriott spend both qualify for increased earnings on cards for both brands, so yes they are interchangeable.  For all intents and purposes, SPG hotels are essentially Marriott hotels by the time the card comes out.

Message 7 of 21
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Also, what exactly are elite night credits?

Message 8 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

Also, what exactly are elite night credits?

In order to qualify for Elite status with Marriott, you need to have a certain number of nights stayed each calendar year.  Effective August 18th, these are: 10 (Silver), 25 (Gold), Platinum (50), Platinum Premier Elite (75) and a higher level of Platinum Premier Elite (100 nights + $20k in qualifying spend).  Having one or more Marriott, SPG, or Ritz-Carlton cards will give you 15 extra nights each year starting in 2019 (15 total whether you have 1 card or 6 cards).  (For one specific perk of the Platinum Premier Elite, the 15 nights are not included.)  As an example, from 2019 onward, someone with 1 or more of these cards will only need to actually earn 35 nights to meet the 50 nights for Platinum Elite - great news for me, since I can likely do that each year and won't be locked into continuing to spend $75k+ a year on the card after this year to maintain status.

Elite qualifying nights also count toward Lifetime Elite Status.  Those will be 250 nights + 5 years of Elite status for Silver, 400 nights + 7 years Gold or higher for Gold, and 600 nights + 10 years Platinum for Platinum.  (Lifetime Platinum Premier will no longer be attainable after December 31st, 2018, but it is 750 nights + 10 years Platinum or higher.  Since the 15 nights you asked about will not be awarded until 2019 anyway, it's not really applicable.)

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well let's see, folks - 

-$300 in credits towards Marriott brand purchases every year. 

-$100 global entry credit every five years. 

- Priority Pass plus two guests. 

-Annual free night award (worth at least $100).

-Boingo wifi access

I would use 0.08 cpp as a reference to Marriott value, but it could be more or less depending on the hotel. You're looking at about $1,000 using that as a reference point (for the 125,000 bonus). 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.