cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Venture worth keeping past the 1st year with the recent changes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the Venture worth keeping past the 1st year with the recent changes?

With the recent introduction of transfer partners, does this make the Venture worth keeping past the 1st year assuming you also have No AF 2% cards?

Im aware of the 10x miles at hotels.com but that is ending in a year so that’s only temporary for now. I was curious if anyone with the Venture plans to keep it beyond the 1st year. This is also assuming you have other 2% cards without AF.

I’m still undecided with my Venture. I love the simplicity of the card but at the same time it does feel silly to pay 95$ a year for a 2% card when I have multiple No AF 2% cards. I doubt I would use the new transfer partners either but it’s great having that option.

I can definitely understand paying 95$ a year if it’s your highest non category spend card though. I currently use my Venture for non category spend and hotels.com but lately I’ve been wondering if I should move that spend to another card if iam leaning towards Pcing it in June. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Is the Venture worth keeping past the 1st year with the recent changes?

I closed my Venture a few months ago. With as many travel cards as I have ( you have quite a few also ) it became quite difficult to justify paying for a meh-rewards level card that doesn't have status anywhere. I have plenty of meh-level reward cards that earn their keep from status ( and annual fees ).

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you want a 2% card that you can only redeem for travel while you can have a 2% cash back card and use the cash back however you want with no annual fee such as citi double cash back ?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had similar problem with my CSP. I am still considering it.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What other comparible cards do you have?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What other comparible cards do you have?

I have two 2% no AF cards (citi double cash and fidelity visa). I am also in the first year of discover It. Have a couple 1.5% cards (freedome unlimited, cap1 platium).

I just got WF prople+Visa signature for a 4.5%. I need to test to see if WF travel portal and pooling WF points really work.

Message 6 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why would you want a 2% card that you can only redeem for travel while you can have a 2% cash back card and use the cash back however you want with no annual fee such as citi double cash back ?

This exactly. Then you don't have to worry about overcoming an annual fee with spend. Beyond the sign up bonus, if you aren't going to use the transfer partners, I see no reason to pay for the Venture card.

Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This exactly. Then you don't have to worry about overcoming an annual fee with spend. Beyond the sign up bonus, if you aren't going to use the transfer partners, I see no reason to pay for the Venture card.

Right.   Until the advent of the transfer partners, and with the availability of other free no FTF 2% cards,  the Venture was never worth keeping after the first year.   So the only question is whether, for you, the transfer partners change the equation.   If currently you don't think you will use them, is $95 a reasonable fee for the possibility that you might one day use them?   My guess is that the answer is "No"!

Adding the partners to Venture makes the card viable for some, but only if you plan to use that feature....

Message 8 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't forget about primary rental car insurance is included and other things that a basic 2% card doesn't offer which can be big value for some.  This is the CSP not the venture i am referring to.

Message 9 of 14
galahad15
Valued Contributor

With all the no-AF cashback cards on the market today, I'm a little surprised tbh that Cap1 doesn't consider dropping the AF to make the card more competitive -- I know that a few years ago, Cap1 briefly experimented with AF-free Venture and Spark cards for a time, but alas sadly, no similar no-AF 2% endeavors from Cap1 AFAIK since then...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.