Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the credit line match really true?

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Is the credit line match really true?

I want to grow my current cards now that I have them. In November Im eligible for a CLI with charter one. My question is, do they really tend to match/beat the other credit lines you have to get your business?

If so, should I put another $500 on my PNC secured in hopes they beat that limit to get me over the 1k mark? Suggestions?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Is the credit line match really true?

This differs based on a lot of information. American Express gave me five times the highest limit I had at the time. PNC gave me twice the highest limit. Discover saw American Express reporting and only gave $1000. If you have good history with a lender, and a good report, they should have no problem giving you above 1000 if your income supports it.

Message 2 of 6
Jlu
Established Contributor

It seems that Chase is the only one who is concerned with passing out $5k visa siggy's without prior experience.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

I want to grow my current cards now that I have them. In November Im eligible for a CLI with charter one. My question is, do they really tend to match/beat the other credit lines you have to get your business?

If so, should I put another $500 on my PNC secured in hopes they beat that limit to get me over the 1k mark? Suggestions?

In my case, it worked 1/2 the time.    IMO, it can only help but other factors are also involved..

Message 4 of 6
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Ok. My income is nothing to brag about, but I dont have to stress about money so hopefully that wouldnt keep me from getting over 1k. I might try it and see. Whats the harm I guess?

I wanted to try for a discover motiva, but I had a CO from 2008 (paid) and I dont think they will be willing to extend me credit. My GF just got a 1k limit with them on her first credit card, but Im just wanting out of 500CL land!!!! haha Im almost there and I can feel it Smiley Wink

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

It definitely helps, but doesn't guarantee it. When I was in the hundreds, Barclays was the first to give me 4 digits with $2200. But then no one wanted to go past the $2k mark. Finally, after waiting, I was able to CLI my smaller cards (except for cap one!) and broke thru to higher CLs. 

Some people have posted about going from a smaller <$1k CL to 4 or even 5 digits, but usually with a CU or USAA.

It does help for new CCs to see that you're managing higher CLs and also have the use for those limits.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.