cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the regular Discover card discontinued?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Is the regular Discover card discontinued?

I went to Discover's site and only see the Discover IT available. Did they stop offering the regular old Discover? I have the regular Discover and want to apply for the "IT" version but don't know if I can have both.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Is the regular Discover card discontinued?

Tried calling?

Message 2 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

If you mean you have the More card (closest thing to a "regular" card that Discover had for a few years), then you can PC to the IT in less than five minutes and get better benefits besides. The More is being phased out in favor of the IT, which is similar but has better rewards.

Message 3 of 16
John060675
Valued Contributor

As far as i can tell they have discontinued the More card. From what I have read you can PC without any issue.

On a side note, I have noticed an increased amount of snide remarks for answers. The reason I use this forum is because it offers a place for people with good and bad credit to share ideas and experiences. Of course a person could just call, but maybe the OP felt more comfortable asking the question in this environment.

99% of all of our questions could be answered by doing an online search or just calling someone. I prefer asking the questions here so people that have been through the same thing can help me. Who knows? They might have a better idea or know of a backdoor method to get a better product.

To the OP, sorry about hijacking your post. I just had enough of the snide comments. Good luck and please let us know the end result. Most of us want to know without just calling.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

OP, I called and had my More changed into the IT card.  It was quick and easy.  The IT offers the same categories and doesn't charge certain fees, at first, as a "regular" credit card.  And there was no credit pull!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@John060675 wrote:

On a side note, I have noticed an increased amount of snide remarks for answers. The reason I use this forum is because it offers a place for people with good and bad credit to share ideas and experiences. Of course a person could just call, but maybe the OP felt more comfortable asking the question in this environment.

99% of all of our questions could be answered by doing an online search or just calling someone. I prefer asking the questions here so people that have been through the same thing can help me. Who knows? They might have a better idea or know of a backdoor method to get a better product.

I think it goes a little bit both ways.   I am often amused by the certainty that some posters give advice here: you will be approved/get down util and you will be approved/wait for 6 months.

No-one here really knows, but you wouldn't guess that from the confident  tone.  Sometimes asking the issuer IS the best advice, it might have been the case that OPs card wasn't eligible for PC for account reasons (unlikely, but possible with some issuers)

Message 6 of 16
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@John060675 wrote:
As far as i can tell they have discontinued the More card. From what I have read you can PC without any issue.

To the OP, sorry about hijacking your post. I just had enough of the snide comments. Good luck and please let us know the end result. Most of us want to know without just calling.

To be fair, this forum is one of the better ones as far as decorum and friendliness. Sometimes, when a person writes something, it may come across as unhelpful when that was not truly their intention. However, I do agree with you that recently, unhelpful, unsupportive and/or unfriendly remarks have been slightly on the rise. I compare it to asking someone a question and their answer to you is, "Just Google it!" 

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 16
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

ok thanks everybody for the help, will try and pc to the IT card. I don't know if I even have the "More" card; it just says "Discover" on it and I don't recall ever seeing Discover More on any of my bills.

Message 8 of 16
Weights
Regular Contributor

@jasonkm1 wrote:

ok thanks everybody for the help, will try and pc to the IT card. I don't know if I even have the "More" card; it just says "Discover" on it and I don't recall ever seeing Discover More on any of my bills.

I would just call Discover customer service and ask which card you currently have.  If it's not the IT, PC will be no problem.  I PC my More to an IT about a year ago with no issues at all, and even Discover said that it's their policy to allow this.  Discover is definitely not like Crap One in this regards. 

Message 9 of 16
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

I applied for the Discover IT card, it said I was instantly approved for the Discover Open Road card (never even heard of it). Is this normal?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.