cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a reason to get Discover or AMEX if you have decent Visa & MC?

tag
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Is there a reason to get Discover or AMEX if you have decent Visa & MC?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@babson wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So... my quest to sort out my cards continues... this isn't an immediate need question, more of a long term plan to look out for

I recently started sorting my credit cards so last week I got a Capital One QS 10k and Citi DC $3k cards... I also have an alumni BoA Cash Back card with $5k limit and old Chase Slate from college days where I'm only listed as an AU...

I like cash back cards, I'm pretty content with what I have now as I think these are decent cards for me. I never carry a balance and use my cards as a cash back generating machines rather than sources of credit.

So the question is... if I have a decent Visa and MasterCard is there even a point of owning an AMEX or Discover? Do they provide any benefit that Visa/MC don't? Both QS and DC seem to have better rewards personally than what I'm seeing right now from AMEX & Discover... but let's say long term, do they provide anything special that the two main ones don't? Any reason why I'd want them besides a better reward scheme if one comes along?

Thanks!

In my opinion, a big yes.  You like cash back, so Amex BCP is 6% back at grocery stores and provides primary insurance on car rentals.  Discover has 5% cash back categories each quarter. so both have specific advantages.  

Isn't the BCP secondary insurance for rental cars?

You can add primary insurance to your Amex cards.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're satisfied by what you have, there's not much need for more. I got discover for the large credit lines they give, in order to help my Visa cards also grow in credit line. Other than the free fico score discover gives, there's not much different from any other visa/mc reward card.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

no reason to get a separate CB cards if you're already pretty content with what you have ...in which you mentioned YOU ARE! =)

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

American Express and Discover usualy gives your very high credit limits and have very good customer service. I have Amex BCE which feels like a hybrid beween Chase and Citi. Citibank is the only other bank I have discovered that gives you high credit limits and low apr if ask for them. Every credit card issuer are different and they have something unique about them. In amex case its 6% for groceries and the credit card is clear which you can see through it.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need any more cards IMO. Citi DC and CapOne QS are solid cards with simple rewards.
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

cool! thanks everyone! I think I'll wait up on opening any more cards! I feel like eventually I might want to get some AMEX just in case, as some people mentioned to put some larger purchases on it for the piece of mind but I'm pretty happy between DC and QS... got my QS in the mail yesterday, looks nice!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.