cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any downside to letting a CC close for lack of use?

tag
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Is there any downside to letting a CC close for lack of use?

I have a synchrony Newegg card with a 700 dollar limit.  I hate Newegg.  They are always declining my payment and honestly, there's nothing there I need or want.  

It's been open since November.  I'm thinking I'm just not going to use it and let synchrony close it for non-use.  It won't impact my utilization.

Is there any other downside from a credit reporting perspective or potential relationship with synchrony in just letting it close in 6 or 12 months?

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is there any downside to letting a CC close for lack of use?

As far as credit reporting, none.  It will report as being closed by creditor, but nobody will care.  

You will still want to check on the card regularly while it is open to ensure there aren't any fraudulent charges made.

with a $700 Cl I doubt that it being closed will have much impact on your overall utilization numbers.

It may possibly make it a bit harder for a while to get another card through Synchrony but that's a YMMV and i wouldn't be concerned.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 5
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Thanks.

Synchrony doesn't like me too much as it is.  I have am Amazon card and PayPal Credit... both of which get heavy use but I can't get any luv even now that my utilization is down to about 13 percent across the board and they get paid down every month.

I burned them on a Care Credit account several years ago and was shocked that they let me back in with The other accounts but no CLIs to save my life.  I suppose I should be grateful they don't decrease the limits but still....

Better make room in the sock drawer!

Thanks again!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you don't mind a note that says closed by grantor, no biggie. I actually closed a number of Sync cards before having them for a year and it doesn't seem to have affected my standing with them at all. 

Message 4 of 5
randian
Valued Member

@designated_knitter wrote:

Synchrony doesn't like me too much as it is.  I have am Amazon card and PayPal Credit... both of which get heavy use but I can't get any luv even now that my utilization is down to about 13 percent across the board and they get paid down every month.

Synchrony slapped me with a big CLD ($10k -> $1500) on my PayPal Credit account, for no reason (all my credit accounts are in good standing) and zero warning. They didn't even bother to notify me, I only noticed because I logged into my PayPal account for an unrelated reason. If they aren't offering CLIs now I'm not surprised.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.