cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any downside to paying my Amex every week?

tag
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Is there any downside to paying my Amex every week?

Title pretty much says it.

I'm sort of anal about paying my Amex relatively quickly once the charges post.

I have to pay it in full every month regardless, however, when I'm sitting around sometimes I'll just open the app and pay the current balance, sometimes twice a week.

I know there probably isn't any benefit in doing this, but could this have any negative effect? 

Thanks in advance!

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Is there any downside to paying my Amex every week?

@SDMarik wrote:

I have to pay it in full every month regardless, however, when I'm sitting around sometimes I'll just open the app and pay the current balance, sometimes twice a week.

I know there probably isn't any benefit in doing this, but could this have any negative effect? 

Thanks in advance!

There is only 2 reasons I can think of to pay that often. 

1. To help control your spending 

2. Your credit limit is too low for your spend

If neither apply you can just pay once (or twice if micromanaging your profile) per billing cycle. 

Message 2 of 28
SDMarik
Established Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@SDMarik wrote:

Thanks in advance!

If neither apply you can just pay once (or twice if micromanaging your profile) per billing cycle. 

My spending limit seems plenty high, granted I don't know exactly what it is but I have yet to to hit it.

I know paying once a month is plenty, but I just didn't know if there was any reason not to pay as frequently as I wanted to.

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 3 of 28
grower1
Frequent Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I have the same habit. I pay everything the moment it posts, no matter how many times per month (with the exception of my $10 AZEO balance). I feel more comfortable with $0s. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 28
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@SDMarik wrote:

Thanks in advance!

There are other reasons.

I just don't like owing an issuer money.

Paying it off lets me sleep better..

The float is stressful, I can't wait and pay at the last minute..

I pay a little different, anal just the same, when any balance >= $1,000.

"Monk would be proud of the even number"

On a few of my cards that means two or three times a month.

For the sock drawer, cards I pay the day after my small charge post.

The downside might be not showing enough utilization for CL increases

Which are not needed when one pays all the time.

A couple of my cards reached $50,000 CL and never reported a balance over a couple hundred

I also have lowered and locked all my cards at $20,000.

I pay often. have low limits for my spend/income, and sleep well.

Pay as often as you like.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex likes getting paid. I think that's probably all you need to consider in this. 

Message 6 of 28
ladybug2016
Regular Contributor

I'm thinking they like frequent payments or wouldn't offer the Pay It feature for pretty much every single transaction that posts, no matter how small. 

Message 7 of 28
digitek
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex likes getting paid. I think that's probably all you need to consider in this. 

This is true of Amex for sure, but I think this kind of applies to all banks and just humankind in general. No one in the entire world in the history of time has ever been mad to be paid money they are owed =D

I also agree with K-Force about all he said. I pay every 2 weeks in full on every card and it has a lot of positive benefits. Most notably is that you don't ever have to worry about due dates. Banks seem to dig it, good for the credit score, never pay interest.

Only realy down side I have ever noticed is that you almost never receive auto-CLI, which K-Force actually mentioned. I also agree 100% that there is almost no practical reason to have total revolving lines that are multiples of your annual income. I understand that some people like to do it for fun and games, but truth is that banks definitely feel better to see lower total avaible credit lines in relation to income than larger.

Annual income is not a part of FICO scoring at all, but it is a big factor in how a bank relates with you and is asked directly when applying for new credit at a new financial institution. For some institutions, total assets are also a factor and how much you are you going to park with them.

Message 8 of 28
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@digitek wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is true of Amex for sure, but I think this kind of applies to all banks and just humankind in general. No one in the entire world in the history of time has ever been mad to be paid money they are owed =D

I would argue the contrary.  Last year after my Chapter 13 was discharged, I was approved for a CapitalOne secured credit card; I secured it with the maximum allowable security deposit of $849 which yielded a credit limit of $1,000.  While I was well aware of the fact that was well below my typical monthly spend, I reasoned I could pay it every week or two and it would all work out.  Bzzzt!  I'm sorry, that is incorrect.  CapitalOne would accept my first payment per billing period, however, each subsequent payment in the cycle would trigger an AML (Anti Money Laundering) protocol and they'd put a hold on my payments for 12 days before releasing the money to my account.

After several calls to customer service I just got fed up and closed the card only six weeks after I got it.  After comparing notes with other folks, it appears had I opted to used CapitalOne's payment facility and "pulled" the money from my checking account, all would have been well, however, I don't like that payment model, I'd rather initiate all of my credit card payments directly from my checking account via their online bill pay facility.

Long story short, for CapitalOne at least, there are instances where they do indeed get "mad" at being paid money which is owed to them.  Go figure.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 28
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@digitek wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would argue the contrary.  Last year after my Chapter 13 was discharged, I was approved for a CapitalOne secured credit card; I secured it with the maximum allowable security deposit of $849 which yielded a credit limit of $1,000.  While I was well aware of the fact that was well below my typical monthly spend, I reasoned I could pay it every week or two and it would all work out.  Bzzzt!  I'm sorry, that is incorrect.  CapitalOne would accept my first payment per billing period, however, each subsequent payment in the cycle would trigger an AML (Anti Money Laundering) protocol and they'd put a hold on my payments for 12 days before releasing the money to my account.

After several calls to customer service I just got fed up and closed the card only six weeks after I got it.  After comparing notes with other folks, it appears had I opted to used CapitalOne's payment facility and "pulled" the money from my checking account, all would have been well, however, I don't like that payment model, I'd rather initiate all of my credit card payments directly from my checking account via their online bill pay facility.

Long story short, for CapitalOne at least, there are instances where they do indeed get "mad" at being paid money which is owed to them.  Go figure.

I got the exact opposite effect.

I paid my cap one cards weekly and used them a ton.

I got a single cli on one for $8k.  The card started at $3k.

Then I got several $10k cards and a $30k card from them.

I currentl have $67k avail from Cap One.

YMMV

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.