cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any risk in applying for a Citi Custom Cash and Chase Sapphire Preferred same day?

tag
5PercentIsTheFloor
Established Member

Is there any risk in applying for a Citi Custom Cash and Chase Sapphire Preferred same day?

Hi y'all, 

Longtime lurker, first time poster. 

I was late to the credit card game, but have made a number of moves in recent years to solidify my cashback lineup. 

I have six cards in my primary rotation.

- Discover it (5% Rotating Categories) 

- Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories)

- Affinity FCU Cash Rewards (5% Amazon/Bookstore + Rotating Categories)

- Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards (5% Rotating Categories) 

- PCM Platinum Rewards (5% on first $1000 each month)

- Capital Credit Union Debit (4% on first $750 each month--- it gets used almost exclusively at Woodman's (only accepts Discover Credit) and Costco (only accepts Visa Credit) because my PCM is a Mastercard. 

I want to add two more cards to the lineup this week:

- Citi Custom Cash 

- Chase Sapphire Preferred (Mostly for SUB and Auto Rental Benefit) 

I want to app for both in the same day and I think I 'should' be okay, but I wanted to ask the wise people of the MyFico forums if there are any potential pitfalls I'm blind to (perhaps a looming auto-decline) that come from submitting apps to both Citi and Chase on the same day.  

Details/Numbers: 

I am a steady 780 +/- a few points across all 3 bureaus. 

I'm 0/6, 3/12 and 3/24. However, I became 0/6 as of 9/14, as I applied for two cards simultaneously on 3/13. 

I'm a 99% match for the Citi Custom Cash on Experian's card match service. 

I'm pre-approved (green star in the Chase App) for the Sapphire Preferred. 

My plan is to apply for the Citi Custom Cash immediately before I head to a Chase location (waive that annual fee) to apply for the Sapphire Preferred. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I genuinely appreciate it (as well as all the help this forum has provided me in the past) 

*Bonus*: 

I have 3 Cards left on my wishlist beyond the two mentioned above. 

- Vantage West Connect Rewards (I understand it's heavily geo-fenced, but I believe I have a way to acquire)--- For 5% Costco/Wholesale

- Abound CU Platinum -- For 5% Gas (*Important*- A Visa that I can use at Costco Gas Stations) 

- Elan Max Cash Preferred (Haven't Picked a Financial Institution) -- For 5% on 2 Categories 

Is there anything else that I should be looking at? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BenTramer1978
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there any risk in applying for a Citi Custom Cash and Chase Sapphire Preferred same day?

Chase is known not to love that sort of thing but people do get away with it. Guess it depends how much you want that citi custome cash.

Message 2 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Is there any risk in applying for a Citi Custom Cash and Chase Sapphire Preferred same day?

As for scores and inquiries, I'd say your chances for both cards are good. I would probably suggest going for the Chase first if it's a card you really want. When it comes to getting a Chase card, the fewer inquiries you have, the better.

As a heads-up, Experian's card match is somewhat akin to Credit Karma's recommendations and approval odds. Most of those things are primarily marketing. 

BUT, like I said, I think your scores and history look pretty good for either of the cards you want. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 9
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

I can personally confirm that if Citi sees an Inq within 5 days of the application they will deny. If they pull the same bureau for you then I would do the CC first.

Message 4 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

@5PercentIsTheFloor   Well first of all, you've got me stinking jealous of your cards right now and we are going to have to have a conversation about that.....lol    And welcome to the forum!

Second, I know with Citi in particular, there have been DP's of denials with people applying for a card prior to applying for a Citi card. So, I see your reasoning in app'ing for the Citi first in this case.

However, Chase is known to be very sensitive to new accounts, as well. Not sure how well a same-day app would pan out.  Given that you have a green-star preapproval on your portal, that could work to your favor. But I'm wondering if there would be any harm in waiting 30 days between the two apps to give Chase a little buffer between?  This is coming from "play-it-safe guy"....I just tend not to push the envelope quite this hard.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 5 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Chase tends to circle back and soft pull reports for a while starting several weeks after an approval to keep track of what you're up to.  If you were lining up to perform an app spree that would be a real consideration but since you're only looking to also apply for the 1 Citi card the trend is that it's probably not going to be a risk factor for you. 

More relevant is that if you are banking on leveraging that preapproval you will want to first apply for the Chase card, as having a same-day Citi hard pull visible will diminish the value of that preapproval.  Chase is a reliable EX puller but will often also HP a 2nd CRA and with Citi it's more of a YMMV senario on who they will pull so it's tough to predict the odds of Chase seeing a Citi HP if you first apply for the Custom Cash.

Ultimately though you really should apply first for the card you prefer to have right now, factoring in that it's anyones guess at the moment as to how much longer the 100,000 UR SUB for the CSP will be around or if/when it might be resurrected as part of a later promotion.

As a side note with regard to the Max Cash Preferred, data points imply that Elan's underwriting is a little more relaxed than for the Cash+ but you don't want to have much more than 2 or 3 inquiries/new accounts showing over the last 12 months for best odds of approval

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 9
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

@5PercentIsTheFloor wrote:

- Capital Credit Union Debit (4% on first $750 each month--- it gets used almost exclusively at Woodman's (only accepts Discover Credit) and Costco (only accepts Visa Credit) because my PCM is a Mastercard. 

- Elan Max Cash Preferred (Haven't Picked a Financial Institution) -- For 5% on 2 Categories 

First you have a great lineup and I love the username even more!

I noticed your credit union has the Mastercard Max Cash Preferred. Seems like that would be a great option for you to get cell phone coverage and deposit rewards into your account. Also, apparently you have funds at the credit union to be eligible for the 4%, and that may have some chance of helping that Elan app get approved or improving its SL, since why else would they ask on the app? (but I don't mean to rehash something that already has a 15 trillion comment thread of its own)

Anyhow let us know how it all goes. Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
5PercentIsTheFloor
Established Member

@GatorCowboyLion wrote:

@5PercentIsTheFloor wrote:

First you have a great lineup and I love the username even more!

I noticed your credit union has the Mastercard Max Cash Preferred. Seems like that would be a great option for you to get cell phone coverage and deposit rewards into your account. Also, apparently you have funds at the credit union to be eligible for the 4%, and that may have some chance of helping that Elan app get approved or improving its SL, since why else would they ask on the app? (but I don't mean to rehash something that already has a 15 trillion comment thread of its own)

Anyhow let us know how it all goes. Good luck!

Getting the Max Cash through my CU has been the plan for the last few week, but thanks for the reassurance and information! 

I initially wanted the Max Cash as a Visa, but then I realized the Mastercard version is more valuable (and luckily my CU has the Mastercard version). 

The plan is to app for the Max Cash and Abound Platinum at the end of 2022 when I'm 0/6, (1 or 2)/12, and (4 or 5)/24 . 

Message 8 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Blowing my mind a little with your 5% anything card and 4% debit.

Kind of wondering why you NEED a Citi Custom Cash with the 5% anything, even though it caps at 1k, wow!

SD - Biz -
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.