cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there really an 'ideal number' of bank cards?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Is there really an 'ideal number' of bank cards?

Looking more carefully at my report, I am surprised at the difference in number of accounts.  Are big variations common?

# of accounts:  EQ: 32, TU 40, EX 41

# of revolving:   EQ: 24, TU 29, EX 31

Mortgages:  EQ: 4, TU 7, EX 6

Mortgages perhaps surprise me the most.  I thought that at least should be common among the CRAs.

Message 31 of 34
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@collinsridge wrote:

If 3 is the the max number of bank cards to "maximize" your score....... I (as well as many others) are royally screwed...Smiley Very Happy

It's not 3.  It's at least 3.

Message 32 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

There is no set number, although at least three cards seems ideal. Adding more than 3 cards is not alone going to increase your score. You can get just as high of a score with three cards that you can with 33. The focus should be once you have three cards do you need to add additional cards? If you can handle more than three and additional cards will benefit you then go ahead. People focus too much on their credit score IMO. Get the cards you need, slowly build up your porfolio (think 2 to 3 cards per app cycle), and properly manage your accounts. Your score will rise with time and you will have a nice thick file. One additional suggestion I would make is that when you are starting out make sure to get non-AF cards or AF cards that you can downgrade to a non-AF in the future. The reason being is your first few cards will be the base of your account and you will want to keep those TLs open as long as possible to help your AAoAs.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 33 of 34
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@Ubuntu wrote:

Hmm... that leaves you right on or near the border. My score changed on 5/30 but it varied by several days for different people because they used a rolling system to "upgrade" accounts.

I won't suggest you buy another report (DO IT!!!! LOL) but if would be interesting to know if the score you have is FICO 04 or Fico 8. Maybe if you asked them they could tell you.

My scores with the 70 point differential from the 29th and 30th were EQ scores.  If yours was EX then it may not matter because EX may have stared using Fico 8 earlier than EQ but I'm not at all sure about that.

It was EX. I have no current need to pull my reports,I thought about it though, I'm curious too!

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.