cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good offer for Citi Thankyou points?

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Is this a good offer for Citi Thankyou points?

I haven't used CITI TY points much, but it appears the points are worth about a penny, so $125 for $2k spend. 

Based on my math, this works out to be 6.25 cents per dollar spent, which seems like a good return. Any gotchas I'm not thinking of or other thoughts?

citi1.png

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Is this a good offer for Citi Thankyou points?

No gotchas other than a fairly short period to complete the spending.  Nice that it's not category-specific as TYP offers usually are.  FWIW the points can be much more valuable if you have Citi Premier or Prestige and they go to a combined TYP account.

Message 2 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

If you don't have the Sears mastercard already 12,500 points is not that much to chase.

I wouldn't app for it either as they are closing their stores. For that matter, I wouldn't app for anything unless it also comes with strategic value (helping you pay down debt or enhancing point earning rates).

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 3 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

If you don't have the Sears mastercard already 12,500 points is not that much to chase.

I wouldn't app for it either as they are closing their stores. For that matter, I wouldn't app for anything unless it also comes with strategic value (helping you pay down debt or enhancing point earning rates).

That is a targeted offer that is not available to all cardholders, and definitely not to new applicants.  New applicants are eligible for a $40 statement credit when spending $50 or more, an astonishing 80% cash back... on the first $50.

Message 4 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

Moot point.  Citi stopped allowing PCs to the TYP-earning Sears Mastercard just about a year ago.

Even if OP has no intent on trying to go for the bonus he should still sign up for it as that tends to lead to followon offers as well, some of them are quite lucrative (I'll collect another 360 TYP + 9,000 bonus TYP on $360 spend for utilities again this month)

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Ooh good point, I forgot the current version of the card no longer earns TYPs.

Message 6 of 11
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

Moot point.  Citi stopped allowing PCs to the TYP-earning Sears Mastercard just about a year ago.

Even if OP has no intent on trying to go for the bonus he should still sign up for it as that tends to lead to followon offers as well, some of them are quite lucrative (I'll collect another 360 TYP + 9,000 bonus TYP on $360 spend for utilities again this month)

I don't chase a spending bonus unless I already have the intent to buy something online. Then I look to see what bonuses I have available.

It can be tempting though. I've been tempted to take up a couple of nights of Hyatt to help push up my status. But I'm better off not spending the money in the first place.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For many people it's not hard to spend $2K organically over a 60 day window especially since the timeframe covers most of the Christmas shopping season.

Given that the yield is up to 7.25% (2,000 earned + 12,500 bonus TYP for $2K spend) it may worthwhile for the OP to meet the spend requirement.   My classic redemption example is 2500 TYP yields a $25 Home Depot gift card, not every exchange yields a 1 TYP = $0.01 rate but a number of them do. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No gotchas other than a fairly short period to complete the spending.  Nice that it's not category-specific as TYP offers usually are.  FWIW the points can be much more valuable if you have Citi Premier or Prestige and they go to a combined TYP account.

No, I don't have either of those, but it still seems like there are a lot of 1cpp redemption options.

@Citylights18 wrote:

This is my wife's card, she's had it for 35 years already, so no new app.

@coldfusion wrote:

For many people it's not hard to spend $2K organically over a 60 day window especially since the timeframe covers most of the Christmas shopping season.

Given that the yield is up to 7.25% (2,000 earned + 12,500 bonus TYP for $2K spend) it may worthwhile for the OP to meet the spend requirement.   My classic redemption example is 2500 TYP yields a $25 Home Depot gift card, not every exchange yields a 1 TYP = $0.01 rate but a number of them do. 

Even though I still need to spend $1k to finish the SUB spend for another card I just got, I don't think $2k should be hard, even if I limit it to things that aren't bonuses for other cards. I'll certainly keep Amazon and Lowes spend on their respective cards since they are 5%. Between Christmas and daughter buying and moving into a new house ("housewarming gifts"), $2k should be easy even without groceries or other categories that are bonus on other cards.

Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Message 9 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

I haven't been paying as much attention to these emails because they are on my wife's card, but I do get cc'ed on them. I just checked and see that they had one (expired now) in August for 7,500 points on $750 spend, another that I missed on utilities (probably the one you are doing), and this one here that is good until 12/31:

citi2.png

I'll be watching these emails more closely going forward.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.