cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

I have a very complex and confusing issue I am trying to work out with a Bank of America Credit Card.

Basically, I noticed my credit card was removed from online banking. I called in to get re-assigned only to find out after about 2 hours, 5 departments, and multiple answers that my card which is CURRENT was closed because a company called MODERN MONEY MECHANICS which is apparently a debt settlement company wrote on my behalf saying that I am working with them to consolidate debt. I have never heard of this company nor do I have any debt to settle, yet they had my account information to make this request.

Here's where it gets really weird: Google cannot find one piece of information on this company to indicate it even exists. I suspect some sort of fraud, however I cannot figure out a motive. What is there to gain by doing this? I regularly check my credit and there is nothing out of the norm so it doesn't  appear to be any kind of identity theft.

I've been working with the bank to get this figured out, but so far I am not really getting anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what this might be? 

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this a one in a million credit card problem?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a very complex and confusing issue I am trying to work out with a Bank of America Credit Card.

Basically, I noticed my credit card was removed from online banking. I called in to get re-assigned only to find out after about 2 hours, 5 departments, and multiple answers that my card which is CURRENT was closed because a company called MODERN MONEY MECHANICS which is apparently a debt settlement company wrote on my behalf saying that I am working with them to consolidate debt. I have never heard of this company nor do I have any debt to settle, yet they had my account information to make this request.

Here's where it gets really weird: Google cannot find one piece of information on this company to indicate it even exists. I suspect some sort of fraud, however I cannot figure out a motive. What is there to gain by doing this? I regularly check my credit and there is nothing out of the norm so it doesn't  appear to be any kind of identity theft.

I've been working with the bank to get this figured out, but so far I am not really getting anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what this might be? 

I would probably ask BofA to provide a copy of the letter they received that was supposedly on your behalf to start with. If this isn't an error, they should have something they can show you. 

Message 2 of 48
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Please keep us informed as you find out information.   And if you get a copy of the letter, please block out personal information, but share it with us.

Good luck with getting it figured out with Bank of America.

Message 3 of 48
babymixer
Regular Contributor

wow, that's sketchy.  keep us updated as to what happens.

cc's copy
Message 4 of 48
hulamatt

someone could be trying to mess with you and get your accounts closed

Message 5 of 48
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You might want to put an immediate freeze on your CRs and possibly even a fraud alert, to protect yourself. The first poster is right: I would ask BofA for documentation about this. You might even ask to speak with their fraud/security dept. and let them know that you have no knowledge of this, nor did you authorize anything like this, and find out more info about who initiated this. If this was a fraudulent action, then they should be able to re-open your account.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 48
JMN
Frequent Contributor

I second the freeze/fraud alert. You need to protect your credit now, in the event your information has been stolen.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 7 of 48
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I also would check any other credit cards you may have to see if they are still reporting your accounts as "open"

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 8 of 48
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Did you recently break up with someone or end a relationship on a sour note?  If so, you may also want to call and put passwords on your light, gas, phone bills etc.  Yes, people really do stuff like that.Smiley Surprised

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 48
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I hate to jump in here, but I have to as I want to vote for the freeze\alert on your CR's as well.  This sounds a bit off and you may have caught something before it could do real damage.  I also have to say, we're having a prob with BoA AKA FIA (the 2 handle the signature visa I guess) and can't pay online or anything with it even after speaking with them and being told a hold was taken off.  I think we're done with BoA for anything after this (card's not closed, just can't pay online or cash out rewards etc).

I wouldn't be totally shocked if your issue wasn't due to a BoA mixup frankly. Though I agree with the others on the CR freeze.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.