Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a stupid idea?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a stupid idea?

I'll admitt I don't know much about  "gardening" so bear with my while I consulte the experts. My credit isn't bad, but I really want a particular credit card and my score is 35 points lower than the average approved score for this card. I don't want to apply and risk the hard pull for nothing. So short of just being patient and making payments on time I feel like there really isnt much a I can to get over this hump. 

Would it be a bad idea to open a secured card to try and boost the score? My logic is:

-There would be no hard pull

-It would add another reporting account 

-It would decrease my debt/credit ratio

-In 6 months they refund the deposit and it becomes a real credit card 

Thanks guys

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a stupid idea?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll admitt I don't know much about  "gardening" so bear with my while I consulte the experts. My credit isn't bad, but I really want a particular credit card and my score is 35 points lower than the average approved score for this card. I don't want to apply and risk the hard pull for nothing. So short of just being patient and making payments on time I feel like there really isnt much a I can to get over this hump. 

Would it be a bad idea to open a secured card to try and boost the score? My logic is:

-There would be no hard pull

-It would add another reporting account 

-It would decrease my debt/credit ratio

-In 6 months they refund the deposit and it becomes a real credit card 

Thanks guys

What card are you talking about that has no HP AND unsecures? What are your current scores?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The secured card I mentioned in a PNC card. They ensured me they would not do a HP. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump? 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, i think a small installment loan would do more for your credit than a secured card.

Message 5 of 19
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally, i think a small installment loan would do more for your credit than a secured card.

^^^^

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a credit company you would recommend for this? Im hesistant because I dont want a HP. 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a credit company you would recommend for this? Im hesistant because I dont want a HP. 

Any reputable furniture store will do. Do you need any furniture as of late?

Don't buy anything you don't need just for the sake of taking on a small installment loan.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, one more quick question. If my overall CC balance is ~ $0.00 then will increasing my credit limit on any of my cards really help my score since I'm under 20% utilization anyway? 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok thanks, one more quick question. If my overall CC balance is ~ $0.00 then will increasing my credit limit on any of my cards really help my score since I'm under 20% utilization anyway? 

Can't hurt!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.