Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an Amex pre-approval?

tag
gary4872
Regular Contributor

Is this an Amex pre-approval?

I went to the Amex soft-pull pre-app site and couldn't get anything...odd, I thought. Then I read and saw that if you are an existing cardholder you won't get offers from there. I had a corporate card from an employer a couple years back so I logged in with that account - and it still worked, though the card is cancelled and has a balance (the account was full corporate and no personal liability, so I'm off the hook.)

It then brings me to the "American Express Personal Cards" "Your Featured Offers" page and shows Amex Plat, Rewards Plus Gold, Blue and Blue Sky. So, is that like a pre-approval? My last Amex hard pull that I see on TC was Exp, which is my worst score so I don't want to waste an inq.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gary4872
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this an Amex pre-approval?

Forgot to note that if I do get an Amex, I had a personal card 9 years ago so that could add some nice age.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex WILL pull EXP -

However- getting that memeber date and no "New" account" is nice- 

How bad is your EXP score?  Are you looking at Charge cards or Credit cards?
Message 3 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

It seems everyone gets those same four cards on the 'featured offers' page.

I've been searching on this site and on another to find out the same thing with no great success.

No one seems to know if they are a pre-approval so I never could get myself to app.

I have a SkyMiles but want a charge card, and although it is tempting, I can't confirm it's a pre-app so I won't do it.

I don't want any trouble w/ Amex. Read the posts on this board,they are sensitive.My SkyMiles is new and poking the bear w/ a stick is not in my plans unless they tell me I can.

Jax
Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Plat and a Blue card and I get pre-approvals for these two cards and others at their site.
Message 5 of 9
gary4872
Regular Contributor

I hadn't decided if I would app for the charge or credit card. My EX is too low for Amex - like 650 - I'm going back and forth w/Citibank with 3 lates reporting incorrectly last year to TU and EX. When I get those cleaned up, I would expect my scores to be similar to my EQ which is 733. In this case, I think I will be better off just waiting.
Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@gary4872 wrote:

I hadn't decided if I would app for the charge or credit card. My EX is too low for Amex - like 650 - I'm going back and forth w/Citibank with 3 lates reporting incorrectly last year to TU and EX. When I get those cleaned up, I would expect my scores to be similar to my EQ which is 733. In this case, I think I will be better off just waiting.

Good idea. Although you could get a card with the ~650, AmEx isn't really happy about lates within the last year. People have gotten cards with lates (me) and with that score, but the combo might be tough. You'll get a better deal if you app with a cleaner record and higher scores.

One possible exception: If you got a green charge card now, which I think that you could get OK, and then a "revolver" like the Blues, Delta SkyMiles, etc. in January, that new card will have an opening date of January of this year, which is the strangest thing I've ever heard of. But it does mean that you have a new card that displays as over one year old, so you dodge the "new accounts" bullet. Just a thought.

(For any skeptics, I had thought that the second card would get the date - month and year - of the first card, but per Timothy and others, it's the way I described above.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

gary4872 wrote:

I agree!
Message 8 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@gary4872 wrote:

I feel your pain. My hatred for waiting is my only Type A personality characteristic! Smiley Happy
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.